Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Never compare yourself to others- learn from them- accept suggestions- but don't worry that you aren't "as good". Enjoy the experience. Each try will bring new knowledge as well as challenges. But if you enjoy quilting don't give up. Soon there will be someone thinking they will never be as good as you!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
Don't give up I am a beginner and just ask for help when needed and I do take advantage of all the great advice from this board. One block at a time , stay in YOUR comfort zone. :thumbup:
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Type A personalities do not make good beginning quilters.... ask me how I know.

I have learned a lot in the 6-ish months that I have been quilting. The biggest and best thing that I have learned is

You have to practice and take it day by day. Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

Take it easy, do your best and ask for help if it is available to you.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Don't give up! You have a great teacher and a great group of quilters to help you along. I'm sure they would be happy to share little hints to help you overcome what you "think" is wrong. Most important thing of all though is to relax and have fun with the group and enjoy the quilting. I asked a question about hand piecing at my BOM group and instead of getting an answer :D I got at least a half dozen ideas on how to get my machine to stop eating my fabric ... which is why I was hand piecing in the first place. Quilters love to help newbies so go and ask questions and enjoy.

Susan
Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 PM

If you want to learn to quilt, enjoy the ride, one step at a time. If you just want a quilt for your bed, buy one and take the pressure off yourself. A smaller first time project might be less intimidating for you.

I highly recommend this book for all levels of quilting: Better Homes and Gardens: Complete Guide to Quilting.

I use a foot on my machine that has a little rutter on the edge. I set the needle position to a scant quarter inch for perfect quarter inch seams. Be sure to press each seam and square up your pieces as you go. Accurate cuts and seams is most of the battle. Also, Fons & Porter makes a red and cream colored seam ripper that is fabulous. It's really sharp, be careful not to slice your fabric with it. I have ripped out a foot of stitches at a time with one swoop :)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by denise d
Type A personalities do not make good beginning quilters.

tehehehe ... Type A personalities do not make good beginners at anything ... and I do resemble that remark

:lol:
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Don't quit!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Remember, we all crawl before we walk, walk before we run.
Ease up on yourself, laugh at your mistakes and love your seam ripper !
Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ
Originally Posted by denise d
Type A personalities do not make good beginning quilters.

tehehehe ... Type A personalities do not make good beginners at anything ... and I do resemble that remark

:lol:
Yep!!!! ;)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

KEEP ON KEEPIN on! WHo cares if it isn't perfect...it will teach you lots of lessons!