Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should take my own advice.  Need advice >

Should take my own advice. Need advice

Should take my own advice. Need advice

Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
If it were mine, I would use a narrow white border first, to give the planes a definite edge, then put a wider border of the plane fabric on the outside. I believe I would bind it using the plane fabric. The quilting you decide on later will add the finishing touch to your wonderful quilt.
I agree. It is a stunning quilt....very contemporary.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 AM

I knew you'd all have wonderful ideas! Thanks for taking the time to post. I have lots of options to offer to my daughter now!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I would use the fabric you pieced the airplanes with. Cute pattern. Never seen that one.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:39 AM

A small white one to keep those planes floating. That quilt is stunning!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Great quilt. I might put a 2" border of white and then a 4-6" border of blue. At least all your planes are flying in the right direction. When my daughter was taking flying lessons, I made her a wall hanging to celebrate her first solo flight. It never occurred to me that with all 4 airplanes facing the middle I was about to crash land all 4 planes. LOL. However, she loves the quilt, and although she never became a pilot, she did get her degree in aviation managements, so she does "play with the planes"; but right now she is still recovering from an automobile accident where she was rear-ended and still has to deal with severe pain in her back and neck; but she's slowly getting better. Having just celebrated their 1st year anniversary in July and having relocated to Sydney, Australia to be with him, makes things a little better for her; but they are both in the aviation field.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 PM

I feel the same as some others. A narrow white border first & then 3" or 4" dark ( plane) fabric border & also dark for binding. Great quilt also. Would love to see it finished.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM

I was thinking a print of white clouds on a blue sky?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
Great quilt. I might put a 2" border of white and then a 4-6" border of blue. At least all your planes are flying in the right direction. When my daughter was taking flying lessons, I made her a wall hanging to celebrate her first solo flight. It never occurred to me that with all 4 airplanes facing the middle I was about to crash land all 4 planes. LOL. However, she loves the quilt, and although she never became a pilot, she did get her degree in aviation managements, so she does "play with the planes"; but right now she is still recovering from an automobile accident where she was rear-ended and still has to deal with severe pain in her back and neck; but she's slowly getting better. Having just celebrated their 1st year anniversary in July and having relocated to Sydney, Australia to be with him, makes things a little better for her; but they are both in the aviation field.
I'm so sorry for your daughters difficulties and hope she is doing much better now. Thanks for sharing your story about your quilt, too. I'd love to see that one! I sure keep checking as I go and hope I'll get it all done without too many more mistakes!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 AM

I agree with the others about a small white border then I would do a checkerboard of the white and maybe the same solid as the planes. I really love this quilt.

Susan
Old 08-07-2015, 04:16 AM

Love this old quilt pattern. Beautiful job with the planes. I would frame the quilt with a narrow strip of a favorite color (red, orange, yellow) and then a four inch (half the block size) strip of the dark color.