Sid

Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 AM

I have the dual feed stitch in the ditch foot for my Janome 6600, but have had little luck using to actually quilt. I prefer ditching with my FMQ foot, or using a ruler foot and a straight edged ruler.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:09 AM

I bought a ditch foot for my machine and was disappointed with the performance. (Had bunching.) I was only happy with the open toe walking foot, and if I SITD, I use the advice of many to stitch slightly to one side of the ditch, not right on the seam.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:09 AM

This is an off-the-grid idea, but have you tried removing the foot, holding the fabric tightly, and quilting it that way?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Too bad they don't make a walking foot that has that SID guide on it. That would be great! I like the guide for accuracy but it seems to push the fabric ahead of it when quilting. I have 2 of these as I wondered if there was something wrong with the first one I bought. It's like the guide is too tight against the fabric and "digs in". Perhaps the suggestion of pulling the fabric to the sides as stitching would help prevent that. Will have to try it.
Try adjusting the pressure on your foot. Perhaps if you loosen it a little it will not “dig in and push” the fabric???
Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
Yes, they are correct. If the seam is pressed open there's no fabric for it to grab when you sew on the seam. If your SID is accurate you'll just be catching the threads of the original seam, not the fabric. If this doesn't make sense, try holding a seam that's pressed open to the light and gently pulling it apart (maybe on a test seam, not on your quilt) and you can see light coming through.
Thaks Mitty, that makes perfect sense. I am trying to decide how to quilt my quite large complex paper pieced Christmas image. Nearly all the seams are pressed open because that is the only way I can get the hundreds of tiny pieces to lie correctly and line up.

Now that SID is ruled out I think it will have to be be a very simple and almost invisible all over FMQ as straight lines wouldn’t look right.

I hate the quilting part of projects haha!
Old 08-08-2018, 09:49 AM

I use a walking foot and don't have any problems staying in the ditch.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 PM

My go to is the walking foot. The stitch in the ditch foot has not worked for me. I've been known to use the seam ripper after using that particular foot.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Too bad they don't make a walking foot that has that SID guide on it.
What machine do you have? Check with your dealer or on-line as there may be new accessories.

For the Brother/BL machines with the Digital Dual Feed WF there are extra feet available. This is a large WF that plugs into the back of the machines.

The regular one comes with the WF, plus there is a SITD foot, the Open Toe foot and a new one that has the 1/4 inch guide on it. I would like that one for attaching quilt bindings.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM

I use a walking foot for a lot of my quilting, including SID. A gal named Jacquie Gering has some great tutorials on Craftsy, as well as others. Make a practice sandwich quilt and try both out and see what works best for you.