Sid

Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Default Sid

If I want to stitch in the ditch to quilt am I better off using the stitch in the ditch foot that came with my Brother machine or the walking foot I bought?

Common sense tells me the SID foot would be best as it is designed for the job but then most videos online show the walking foot...
Old 08-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Make a sample and try them both.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:45 PM

I’ve used the walking foot with success. TIP - As you SID, position your hands on both sides of the walking foot. Gently pull the fabric out away from the foot and afterwards the SID stitching line will not be seen.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
If I want to stitch in the ditch to quilt am I better off using the stitch in the ditch foot that came with my Brother machine or the walking foot I bought?

Common sense tells me the SID foot would be best as it is designed for the job but then most videos online show the walking foot...
Is this the Dual feed WF (the big one)? There are optional snap on feet for these WF. One is a SITD foot. There is also a new one that has the 1/4 inch seam guide.

I use the SITD with the WF. It works great!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Hi Rhonda, it is the dual feed walking foot I have but there are no options to change the feet on it. The SID foot I have is a normal snap on foot for my machine.

Thanks for the tip about pulling apart seam side - I did see this in one of the videos.

Also someone said that you cannot SID if you pressed open your seams rather than to the side - are they right?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:25 AM
Administrator

don't use a normal SID foot for quilting.
unless you pin, pin, pin and pin some more you will end up with bunches and tucks.
not worth it.
even a dual feed SID foot presents challenges.
not much visibility so it takes a lot of practices to keep the stitch line straight.

use an open-toe walking foot that gives you plenty of visibility.
that way you can see where the needle is going to land.
much easier to keep the line straight.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 AM

I do STID free motion style and have good success. It eliminates pressure from any type of foot that can cause little tucks, especially at intersecting elements. Yes, it did take some practice-just like so many other techniques.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
Also someone said that you cannot SID if you pressed open your seams rather than to the side - are they right?
Yes, they are correct. If the seam is pressed open there's no fabric for it to grab when you sew on the seam. If your SID is accurate you'll just be catching the threads of the original seam, not the fabric. If this doesn't make sense, try holding a seam that's pressed open to the light and gently pulling it apart (maybe on a test seam, not on your quilt) and you can see light coming through.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:55 AM

Too bad they don't make a walking foot that has that SID guide on it. That would be great! I like the guide for accuracy but it seems to push the fabric ahead of it when quilting. I have 2 of these as I wondered if there was something wrong with the first one I bought. It's like the guide is too tight against the fabric and "digs in". Perhaps the suggestion of pulling the fabric to the sides as stitching would help prevent that. Will have to try it.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 AM

only use my walking foot for SID...moves the fabric top/back and no tucks if pinned properly.