Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sigma Thread by Metro in Long Arm? >

Sigma Thread by Metro in Long Arm?

Sigma Thread by Metro in Long Arm?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Default Sigma Thread by Metro in Long Arm?

I was reading on another forum that Sigma is a stronger thread by Metro made for high speed embroidery machines. Has anyone used this with success in their long arm? I am placing an order with them but I have heard a lot of issues with Metro breaking and shredding so I thought maybe Sigma would be better. They are the same price. Oh - and I have an older APQS if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

i suggest you purchase 1 spool/cone & try it out---everyone's machine behaves differently and a thread i may have ton's of problems with may work great for you--and visa versa...it has been my (experience) that most of the embroidery threads i have don't work so well quilting===or regular sewing for that matter...but that's just what has happened to me...& not always- sometimes a thread out of my (embroidery threads box) works just fine....i never know why or when- so-if i want to try it- i try it on a (practice/scrap) piece & see how it goes- if it works-great, if not- i didn't mess up anything important & can try something different.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I'm wondering the same thing. I've used Metro very successfully in my longarm - occasionally some shredding, but that seems to only happen when I have an old needle, or the thread comes out of the path. I bought one of the packages with lots of thread colors several years ago, and now I've used up a lot of it. I was thinking about getting some of the Sigma next time I order.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM

DUNSTER - just an update I thought you might be interested in. I was reading about how Masterpiece thread by Superior Threads (for Alex Anderson) was modified from a 2 ply piecing thread to 3 ply because so many people were having breakage issues in their machines. On another forum a woman received a letter inquiring about Sigma and they stated it was the same thread but had a higher tensile strength. I have a feeling Sigma is a 3 ply and Metro is the 2 ply. Metro is shinier while Sigma is slightly less shiny ... sort of a sign that this is likely the difference.

Thought I would share what I learned!