Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signed quilt blocks. >

Signed quilt blocks.

Signed quilt blocks.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:17 PM

I made my granddaughters blocks for her guests to sign...the adults did well, but they didn't pay attention to their children and a the signing was during the meal after the wedding, and several blocks were scribbled on, messed up really bad by youngsters...so there was going to be shortage of blocks, but she picked out the best ones and wanted them in her quilt...so I made the quilt and she was happy....I had enough fabric to cut new blocks to have the correct number for the size quilt she wanted....So my only advice is have someone in charge of the block signing..table...my granddaughter learned that lesson the hard way...other than that the wedding was beautiful...and she uses the quilt on her bed all the time...
Old 09-09-2016, 01:43 AM

I made a quilt for the principal of my bldg. I used Sharpie fabric markers bought at Hobby Lobby.

1. Definitely put freezer paper on the back of the pieces being signed.
2. Think about your finished quilt design before starting.
3. Draw the seam allowance on the pieces so that people stay w/in the finished block size. Seam allowance 1/4", I drew the line at 3/8" from the edge.
4. Provide a scrap, larger piece of the fabric, w/ freezer paper ironed to the back, to give people a place to "practice" because whatever marker you use, writing on fabric is very different than writing on paper.
5. BRING EXTRA BLOCKS FOR DO-OVERS!! LOL!!!

What a wonderful idea!!!

Here's the quilt that I made for my bldg principal last year. The timing was perfect because our bldg was reconfigured for the 16/17 school year and a long time team was divided up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557827[/ATTACH]

Staff members created the signature blocks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557828[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   003.jpg  

Last edited by 117becca; 09-09-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:50 AM

Definitely all the above. Use freezer paper backed fabric. Have someone in charge of the table. I penciled in seam allowances but had teachers oversee 5th and 6th graders for this recovery quilt and they turned out fine for my BIL, a teacher, who had a stem cell transplant. I bought several black 05 Pigma pens in case the tips got ruined. He uses it as a wall hanging above his bed, so am not sure about the longevity of the pens with repeated washings.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557833[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557832[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails garys-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 09-09-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
... I bought several black 05 Pigma pens in case the tips got ruined. He uses it as a wall hanging above his bed, so am not sure about the longevity of the pens with repeated washings.
The one I did for my SIL gets used and washed often. As I said earlier, it's been at least 4 years, and the writing is still completely legible (or at least as legible as each author's handwriting allows )
Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have not done it myself, but if you search on the board (use the search box upper righthand corner of the screen) you should find several threads on the topic. Try searching on variations of "wedding signature quilt". Here is one thread I found that may be helpful to you:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t218797-2.html
A few more tips: read everything here to pick the right idea for your quilt.
Have the guests sign squares, not a made-up quilt. Sometimes there are some you just don't want in the quilt.
If you use the folder idea (which is a very good one), you don't need the freezer paper. Have the fabric starched well before you cut it up into the squares or rectangles to sign. Make the squares larger as suggested here.
Put a piece of fine sandpaper inside the folder.
Draw lines on that sandpaper to show where the square or rectangle fits, or make the sandpaper the size of the piece you are trying to sign.
When they close the top of the folder to do the writing, the sandpaper holds the fabric in place.
Have someone sitting at the table with the folder to "watch over it" and help out.
Good luck on your quilt. You are a doll to be doing this for them.

I don't know why this turned green. No need to click on it. That will take you to the link above.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-09-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions for this quilt. I will definitely use them all.