Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signed quilt blocks. >

Signed quilt blocks.

Signed quilt blocks.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 PM

Default Signed quilt blocks.

I have been a member for a couple of years and have learned soooo much from the questions and answers here, although I have never posted here before. My grandson is getting married next month and the bride would like guests to sign quilt blocks instead of a guest book. What size blocks would be best, what kind of pen or marker should be used and should there be stabilizer on the block back to help with the signatures? I will be putting the blocks together and quilting this. Are there any other suggestions for doing this project?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Whatever size you settle on, some how block off a border so people don't run their signature into space that will disappear into the seam allowance.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 PM

I like to draw lines on freezer paper and press it to the back of the fabric. For writing on the fabric, I am a fan of Crayola for Fabric markers, and iron over the inking to set it. Avoid the ones that say Washable because that washes out. Commemoritive quilts I've taken part in were different arrangements of patterns for Slanted Star, and Nine Patch with the writing in the center square. Two of the quilts were begun and tracked on this board, one being for Ashlea Hawkins, and the other for Rodney. Our quilting group took part in signature quilts for two different members who were celebrating 50th wedding anniversaries. One that was a lot of fun was made by 4-H members while at summer camp. Each camper drew a picture and wrote a sentiment.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Power Poster

I have not done it myself, but if you search on the board (use the search box upper righthand corner of the screen) you should find several threads on the topic. Try searching on variations of "wedding signature quilt". Here is one thread I found that may be helpful to you:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t218797-2.html

A couple of tips I have picked up. (1) Iron freezer paper to the back of muslin fabric, then cut out your squares. Freezer paper adds stability to the fabric. It's probably best to cut these squares oversize also (an extra inch on all sides). (2) Instead of drawing seam lines on the fabric, get some file folders and cut out a square the size of the signatures you want. Mount the freezer-paper backed muslin inside the file folder with this cutout space showing. This way guests will keep their signatures inside the square and not go into your seam line. Hopefully you can find these tips explained better in some of the old board threads.

Edit: I would test all of this out, include the pens or markers you choose, before preparing the quilt. Wash your test squares several times to make sure the marks are sufficiently permanent.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-08-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have not done it myself, but if you search on the board (use the search box upper righthand corner of the screen) you should find several threads on the topic. Try searching on variations of "wedding signature quilt". Here is one thread I found that may be helpful to you:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t218797-2.html

A couple of tips I have picked up. (1) Iron freezer paper to the back of muslin fabric, then cut out your squares. Freezer paper adds stability to the fabric. It's probably best to cut these squares oversize also (an extra inch on all sides). (2) Instead of drawing seam lines on the fabric, get some file folders and cut out a square the size of the signatures you want. Mount the freezer-paper backed muslin inside the file folder with this cutout space showing. This way guests will keep their signatures inside the square and not go into your seam line. Hopefully you can find these tips explained better in some of the old board threads.

Edit: I would test all of this out, include the pens or markers you choose, before preparing the quilt. Wash your test squares several times to make sure the marks are sufficiently permanent.
i like this folder idea
Old 09-08-2016, 03:34 AM

Fons and Porter make a nice permanent fabric marker. I use them to write on labels and they have held up nicely through a few washings but I would test wash, as Prism99 suggested!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 AM

I used paper pieced blocks, 3 1/2 inch, left paper on when they were signed at reception. Worked out fine.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 AM

This is so beautiful and a lovely idea!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Wow! That's a truly beautiful quilt, mommessy!

ntroxel,
If the recipient plans to wash the quilt, I would also recommend using a Fabric Medium. They sell Golden brand at (http://www.dickblick.com/products/go...fabric-medium/) that is just a tiny bit nicer than the brand they sell at HL -- but either one works fine. The Fabric Medium will permanently set any ink that isn't water soluble. I just brush it on with an acrylic brush, let it set for a week & then pop it in the washer on cold, handwash cycle with a tablespoon of Tide Free. Once it's been washed, there is an almost indiscernible difference in the hand of the fabric versus non-treated fabric. After washing, I wet block it.

It's more work than just using plain marker with no treatment, but then you can be virtually assured that the ink will not fade, change color, bleed, crock, or wash out if ever laundered. If you have any extraneous ink marks, be sure to remove those prior to using the fabric medium or it will permanently set them.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 AM

I've made a "friendship" quilt several times, and used this pattern (I hope the pic comes in).

One I did for my son-in-law, a lap-sized quilt for him to carry to his chemo treatments. His mom helped me get a BUNCH of signatures. We handed out blocks (secretly) and had family and friends sign, with their comments for good wishes, prayers, etc. Later, I joined the blocks together and quilted it.
Both my daughter and son-in-law were in tears when we presented it to them, and it is one of their most prized possessions. (BTW, he's been cancer-free for 4 years now).

This block can be very easily resized. I think you need to consider how many people may want to sign, so you can determine how many blocks, and then determine what size the blocks then need to be.

We used several different colors of the Pigma pens.

Oh, and I meant to say that I "reversed" the light/dark settings in this block, so this gives them a nice white area in the center to sign.
Attached Thumbnails friendship_block.jpg