Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: signing quilt for wedding

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    38
    my granddaughter wants to have peaple sign on pieces of material at her wedding instead of a quest book and then i make her a quilt with them. have know idea what pattern to us what kind of pen should they sign with should i put some kind of stablized behind the ones they write on any and all heip needing

  2. #2
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Pigma pens work well when heat set and come in many colors. There may be something that goes with her wedding colors.

    Ironing fabric to freezer paper makes it easier to write on.

  3. #3
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,052
    Blog Entries
    1
    One suggestion- people sometimes sign within the seam allowance. I'd cut the squares quite a bit bigger than the actual finished size and maybe put a freezer paper frame around the area where you want them to sign. Possible you could run the frame paper through your printer before cutting and include a message or instructions.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okla City, OK
    Posts
    41
    I made a quilt for my daughter also. We had the size of strips to be signed, backed with freezer paper ironed on, and on the front I would recommend use masking tape to cover the seam allowance so no one will write in them. You can use the pigma pen, but sometimes they are "scratchy" and hard for people to write with. We used an Identi.Pen we got from Michaels website. Her colors were pink and brown so we got brown pens. We got extras, and sent the fabric and pens to grandparents that couldn't come and that way they had their signatures also. You will have to decide if you want only a signature, or if you will have space for a little something said.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    I agree with Bin, and would just add tying a string to the pen so folks don't walk off with it. I did a "going away" log cabin for a co-worker and it turned out great! Wish I had a picture of it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    I knew someone who made a quilt top first, then had it be signed at the reception. It was beautiful, everyone got to appreciate it at the wedding, and no one wrote in the seam allowance!

  7. #7
    thismomquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    here! :)
    Posts
    1,491
    I made a 'signed' quilt also - I took the blocks to the wedding before they were sewn all together - one thing you MAY want to keep in mind is to let the people know ahead of time so they will be able to think of something to say - less time consuming that way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    It's not quite the same, but...

    A good friend of mine actually sent blocks to all of her guests for them to decorate and sign. They knew what her colors were, and most stuck with that plan. Many of them were not washable (paper on the blocks - one actually cut up the invitation and turned it into a beautiful block), so she made a really gorgeous wall hanging with the unwashable ones, and put the others on her bed.

    I don't know how close to the wedding you are, but it's an idea!

  9. #9
    Senior Member maggiemuggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maberly Ontario Canada
    Posts
    399
    I attempted this for a friends 50th and forgot to put the seam allowance on(was just getting into quilting at the time..ambitious me)..any suggestions as people used up most of the strip to write on..

  10. #10
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiemuggins
    I attempted this for a friends 50th and forgot to put the seam allowance on(was just getting into quilting at the time..ambitious me)..any suggestions as people used up most of the strip to write on..
    A lot of work, but could you applique them onto something else?

  11. #11
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    I think this is a wonderful idea! And, binthepink, the quilt you did for your daughter is just the perfect size. What a wonderful treasure you created for her and your SIL.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladygen
    It's not quite the same, but...

    A good friend of mine actually sent blocks to all of her guests for them to decorate and sign. They knew what her colors were, and most stuck with that plan. Many of them were not washable (paper on the blocks - one actually cut up the invitation and turned it into a beautiful block), so she made a really gorgeous wall hanging with the unwashable ones, and put the others on her bed.

    I don't know how close to the wedding you are, but it's an idea!
    This only works if people actually remember to do it and send them back. I had a not-so-favorable experience with this method.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okla City, OK
    Posts
    41
    Thank you Marcia. I have been trying to think if there was anything else, and all I could remember was we had a scrap at the wedding for the people to practice writing on because if they hold the pen down too hard the ink will bleed some. We did the pieces instead of a finished quilt because if something like that happened the piece could be replaced right there, and also then we knew how many spots we needed when we made the quilt. But it's whatever works for you. My daughter does really love it and it hangs right in her entry.

  13. #13
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    We did this at Christmas this year, had everyone sign a bleached muslin square. I like using pigma pens, they won't run, and will stand up to lots of washings. go to http://www.quilterscache.com/ and search for friendship stars or blocks, and there are some that will work for this

  14. #14
    Super Member carrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S.W. Michigan
    Posts
    1,206
    I just did this for my mom's 80th. I used the pigma pens but the larger 05 size, not the 03. I drew in pencil the seam lines and people still went outside the lines! LOL I ironed freezer paper to the back for stability. You do have to heat set the ink with a hot iron.

    I used a simple 6" block. If you just want signatures, specify that. We have lots of wonderful sentiments on hers, but then they signed, 'love Joe', etc. Right now we know who they all are, but I made a chart for her with exactly who signed where. The drawings were great too. Mom loves it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member schwanton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    356
    I was at my niece's show, and one of the guests had pigma pens and squares of fabric for us to sign, draw a picture or whatever. However, there was a heart drawn on the square and you were required to stay within the boundaries of the hearts. When my niece was married several months later, she was presented with the quilt - the hearts were appliqued to the quilt. My mother, who was at the shower, at passed away, so it had even more meaning to my niece. The woman who made the quilt entered it in the local guild quilt show and won best of show!

  16. #16
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by binthepink
    I made a quilt for my daughter also. We had the size of strips to be signed, backed with freezer paper ironed on, and on the front I would recommend use masking tape to cover the seam allowance so no one will write in them. You can use the pigma pen, but sometimes they are "scratchy" and hard for people to write with. We used an Identi.Pen we got from Michaels website. Her colors were pink and brown so we got brown pens. We got extras, and sent the fabric and pens to grandparents that couldn't come and that way they had their signatures also. You will have to decide if you want only a signature, or if you will have space for a little something said.
    great quilt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.