Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Since we're talking about hand-quilting... >

Since we're talking about hand-quilting...

Since we're talking about hand-quilting...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

I also do not keep track of my time. I have 3 quilts that I am quitling at the same time. I get tired of one then go to one of the others and back and forth. That way I don't get tired of any of them (well not too much anyway lol). Plus I do not quilt everyday like I want to...life and work gets in my way... sometimes I wish I was retired and can quilt everyday all day, but gotta pay the bills.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by KS quilter
I have handquilted for a long time; for a queen/king size it
takes me a couple months. I quilt a few hours most evenings
and more on weekends. I have never kept track of the exact
hours. Then again, once or twice on each quilt I have to lay it aside for a few days while my fingers heal. For me,I find that Zinc Oxide Ointment helps me heal more than anything else I've tried. Don't find it at Walmart, but our local drug store carries it. One time I found it in the 'baby' section...it is suppose to be good for diaper rash. When hand quilting a large quilt, it does seem like
a long time, but that is my favorite part of quilting. If you just quilt 15 or 20 minutes here and there, you will be surprised how that time accumulates.
It sounds like I wrote this...except I use Curads extra-length clothlike bandaids rather than a thimble. I still have to stop and let me fingers heal though.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM

I've been doing so much embroidery lately, it's causing me to want to learn, but how would I find someone to teach me? Is this something LQS typically do?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I've been doing so much embroidery lately, it's causing me to want to learn, but how would I find someone to teach me?
Depends on the local quilt shop. I'm thinking about teaching hand quilting, but I haven't gotten past the thinking stage yet. I know my LQS hasn't offered any hand sewing classes in a long time, but I don't know if that's their choice or if they can't find a teacher. Another LQS has offered hand quilting in the past.

I taught myself by reading books on quilting; today you can find tutorials on line that will show you how. And if you ask a question here someone will know the answer.

Janet
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
Originally Posted by catrancher
I've been doing so much embroidery lately, it's causing me to want to learn, but how would I find someone to teach me?
Depends on the local quilt shop. I'm thinking about teaching hand quilting, but I haven't gotten past the thinking stage yet. I know my LQS hasn't offered any hand sewing classes in a long time, but I don't know if that's their choice or if they can't find a teacher. Another LQS has offered hand quilting in the past.

I taught myself by reading books on quilting; today you can find tutorials on line that will show you how. And if you ask a question here someone will know the answer.

Good advice. Thanks!

Janet
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by great oma
Question? Is it better to press the seams open if you are going to hand quilt? Is there a time that pressing them open is O.K.
If you plan to stitch in the ditch, don't press the seams open.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Regarding the pens I talked about earlier, I've been following a thread and this is what someone else posted...

"I tried them and the marks ironed out beautifully but reappeared when I got the test fabric cold. I ironed again, washed in hot water, dried on medium heat and then subjected it to cold and they reappeared."

So I guess I won't be using them like I thought I would. I'm still going to try them on a project just to practice. I've tried a large variety of pens and haven not found something that will last. I'd like to mark the top before sandwiching because it's easier but nothing ever lasts until I'm done stitching! When I'm handquilting I don't use a frame, I baste and stitch in my lap. I also go through thimbles like crazy! I can't use the metal/plastic ones because they don't fit my finger! I like the leather but needles go through them fairly soon. Guess I need to design my own leather one!

The thread about pens was one about washable Crayola markers. Apparently some have had success with them...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM

I don't keep track of my time. I just did a quilt 84" square. It took me 4 months to quilt it. I worked 1 1/2 to 3 hours almost every night. I did have to put it away for a few days periodically to let my hands heal. I've tried all sorts of things to heal the cracks or prevent them in the first place, but nothing works for me so far.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland

Janet
I teached hand quilting here in Germany and also in Luxemburg from 1998 to 2006 and started again last year. Although you find a lot of information in the internet, tutorials, videos etc. many people don't want to learn hand quilting that way. They prefer to learn from a teacher, spend some time with her/him in a workshop, they want to meet other quilters in person and they want somebody by their side for help and support! As far as I know we only have 3 or 4 teachers for hand quilting here and at the moment it seems to be only one (ME!) who is willing to travel for workshops.
Janet, maybe it would be a wonderful option for quilters who want to learn if you offer workshops at your LQS. And it is also fun for the teacher! :)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM

I just finished a quilt(queen size) that I put together for our school which is having a fund raiser spaghetti supper on the 13 of this month. I am a fast quilter. I put it on the frame on a Thrusday and by Sat. at 10:30 I had it finished. The kids put penquins on blocks that were 8x12. I went around the outside of the block and around the penguins.In regard to the marking. I use the Ultlimate marking pencil , if you mark it very light you will not see the markings and it will wash out after the first wash.