Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Featherweight >

Singer Featherweight

Singer Featherweight

Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 PM

The value of your machine just went up...what a heck of a deal you got. :thumbup:

I am tickled for you. I'd love to own a Centenninial...dream on!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM

You lucky lady. It definitely adds to the value. What a fine.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandy1951

I should take it and the 15-91 to Billy. My DH could watch him repair them and then he'd know what to do himself. He pretty much knows now, but hasn't had time to play with them recently.

I never thought much about a treadle, but after seeing Billy's treadles and others that different members here have found, I'd like to get one.
Send them on, both the machines and hubby!!! :mrgreen:

The machines your talking about are really simple to work on and you can just about convert any external motor machine to a treadle. I was thinking about converting my 1963 Kenmore to a treadle if and when the motor craps out on it.

I found someone who just acquired over 200 vintage machines and I am going through the photos and list of them picking out the ones I want. I should end up with 15 to 20 machines out of this deal if the price is right. The ones that I am looking at, the newest one is around 1930 and go back to the 1880's and are from various manufacturers.

Then there is the 8 hour drive one way to get them........

Billy
Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Oh my word! This is so wonderful for you! I'm so excited you are going to love it. And a table you scored-Congratulations! And make sure your friend knows how much we appreciate her and her finds!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM

My husband, surprisingly, bought me a Singer Featherweight Centennial edition at a quilt shop. It is in excellent shape. I haven't gotten to try it out yet but will soon. Have you used yours yet? Have you bought any Singer Featherweight books? Thanks for your help. I am just thrilled with owning the Featherweight!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I love my featherweights for piecing! I use a 1/4" modern foot and find it accurate. I have 4 featherweights, 1 white, 1 tan, a black with scrole face and a black with straight line face. I use them all but only for piecing. I use my 301 or 306 for binding. There is just something more satisfying about using these vintage machines.
yes vintage is great.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 PM

You ladies are so lucky...
Feather Weights have gone through the roof here in the last year.
I saw one on CL for 460$ the other day and the average price is 300 +/- depending on what comes with it.
I was able to find one in the Goodwill post that someone posted, it started at 120 and is now up to 140$ with a week left in the auction.
I'm still debating whether I REALLY need one or not!
Kirsten
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 AM

Well, it was just about a miracle that my husband wanted to buy me that Featherweight. A really pleasant surprise. The quilt shop wanted $450 for the Featherweight but I got it down to $400, plus tax, of course! I was always looking at them on e-bay and there are all sorts or prices. My Featherweight is in very good condition - no scratches and looks great. It is quite hard to get one on e-bay. There are all sorts of prices depending on the condition of the machine. One of my coworkers got one cheap at a thrift store, around $100, it didn't work and she took the machine to be repaired for another $100 or so. It depends on what you want to do. The thing I liked about buying it from the quilt shop is that I actually got to try and make sure the machine worked, could see it in person, etc. It is all personal preference. Oh, plus you don't have to worry about it getting damaged in shipping. I understand there is a good book out there on the Singer Featherweight too by Susan Johnson-Srebo, which I am seriously thinking of purchasing. Have any of you purchased it yet?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM

I have a Singer Featherweight. I use it to take to class, camping, etc. It is light weight and portable. I also have a Viking Rose and if I had to pick which machine it would be too close to call. Did you know that you can go online and trace the history of your particular Featherweight? You can find info such as the date and area in which your machine was made.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Here you go....

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

Billy