Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer says not to use prewound bobbins >

Singer says not to use prewound bobbins

Singer says not to use prewound bobbins

Old 07-02-2010, 07:36 PM

Husqvarna Viking does not recommend the prewound bobbins for the #1+ (which I used to own) but they work in my Designer SE. I don't know why they work in some machines and not others.

I've also heard not to use the Sidewinder for bobbins used in Husqvarna Viking machines...again, never heard why.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

So it must be only certain Singers?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Originally Posted by UglyCook
The only problem I had with the Side Winder was when I wanted to use big cones of bobbin thread I did better when I put the winder on the edge of a table and the cone on the floor.
I just bought cones from Connecting Threads and was wondering how to use the Sidewinder. Think I will try your suggestion!
I love my sidewinder!! For the cones and large quilting spools, I ordered a "DeelyBobber" adapter from Newark Dressmakers Supply. It lets you use the large spools on a small spindle This adapter is great for my machine too.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM

QBeth, I don't know how to copy and paste so I'll just respond to your post this way, I hope you don't mind. I have both the Viking D1 and Viking SE I have ALWAYS used pre-wound bobbins in them. Never been a problem for me, though when I bought my machines they told me not to use the pre-wound on the cardboard to use the plastic ones. I think they're the L pre-wounds.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM

You have to just try one on your machine. They told me not to use on mine and mom's brothers either but they work perfectly. I love the Glide bobbins they are great. Hoping they will work on my Viking mega quilter also.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Supewrior Threads sells pre-wound bobbins, Bottom Line and Masterpiece (all cotton)
Bob's site lists machines that take his bobbins

http://www.superiorthreads.com
Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM

I have a Singer Futura CE-150. It's a sewing/embroidery machine. The people that sold it to me, also sold me pre-wound bobbins. The bobbins weren't singer, or 15J. They fit in the machine and worked fine UNTIL about a month ago. During an embroidery project, my needle bent, the machine locked up, and started beeping very loudly. When I got the hoop loose, the bobbin case had popped up and broke the bobbin cover. I read everything I could in the manual and online. After many hours of that, I called Singer. They said using the pre-wound bobbins messes up the timing of the machine after a long period of time. I had to spend $30 in gas and $90 service fee to take it to closest Authorized Singer maintenance guy.(55 miles one way)
It's super frustrating!! In my opinion the pre-wound bobbins are sooo much easier, especially for embroidery. BUT, don't think I'm going to use them again.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Did Singer say why the pre-wound bobbins won't work? Interesting.
A size L bobbin is not the same as a size 15J bobbin. That's why it won't work.

If you have a class 15 machine, you can use a class 15 prewound bobbin.

A class 15 is not the same as a 15J bobbin, so that would not work for your 15j machine, either.

Bobbin classes must match exactly. 'Close' is not good enough.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by UglyCook
I would suggest getting a Side Winder and lots of plastic bobbins and just winding a bunch. That's what I was doing.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but Viking says not to use the Side Winder. Don't know why.
Viking says no because they wind the wrong way, however, one of the clerks said if you turn your bobbin upside down & wind they would be okay. The thread has to be wound left to right and I guess the side winder goes R to L? But one other thing the repair man told me the prewound bobbins can ruin your software in you machine that tells you when your bobbin runs out. The prewound would not work on my Viking Designer SE. When they were about to run out it pulled my stitch plate out, broke my needles and after the second one I did not use them anymore. I was so afraid I had damaged my machine, but thank goodness it didn't.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM

"Viking says no because they wind the wrong way, however, one of the clerks said if you turn your bobbin upside down & wind they would be okay. The thread has to be wound left to right and I guess the side winder goes R to L?"

With very few exceptions, Singer Touch and Sew being one of the few, bobbins are the same on the top and bottom. Therefore, it would not matter if the bobbins were wound clockwise or counter-so, because one must hold the bobbin so the the thread comes off to the left (or the right, depending on your machine), so the point of direction of the wind is moot.