Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer says not to use prewound bobbins >

Singer says not to use prewound bobbins

Singer says not to use prewound bobbins

Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
I have a Singer Curvy 8780 which takes 15J bobbins. I emailed Singer to ask if I would use an L prewound bobbin.
The type L bobbin is not as tall as a 15J or a class 15 bobbin - it's about 1/8" shorter than either of those.

My model 15s will use holey or solid class 15 bobbins, 15J's and type A pre-wounds. Maybe buy a sample of type A prewounds and see if they work in your particular machine. :)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
"Viking says no because they wind the wrong way, however, one of the clerks said if you turn your bobbin upside down & wind they would be okay. The thread has to be wound left to right and I guess the side winder goes R to L?"

With very few exceptions, Singer Touch and Sew being one of the few, bobbins are the same on the top and bottom. Therefore, it would not matter if the bobbins were wound clockwise or counter-so, because one must hold the bobbin so the the thread comes off to the left (or the right, depending on your machine), so the point of direction of the wind is moot.
I'm not sure what you mean "bobbins are the same on the top & bottom"? Viking bobbins can only be put in one way, there is an emblem on the side that has to be put on top.
That's why I said the clerk said if you use the side winder you have to place the side with the emblem down & not on top which you would normally do because that's how it goes in the machine.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
Originally Posted by k9dancer
"Viking says no because they wind the wrong way, however, one of the clerks said if you turn your bobbin upside down & wind they would be okay. The thread has to be wound left to right and I guess the side winder goes R to L?"

With very few exceptions, Singer Touch and Sew being one of the few, bobbins are the same on the top and bottom. Therefore, it would not matter if the bobbins were wound clockwise or counter-so, because one must hold the bobbin so the the thread comes off to the left (or the right, depending on your machine), so the point of direction of the wind is moot.
I'm not sure what you mean "bobbins are the same on the top & bottom"? Viking bobbins can only be put in one way, there is an emblem on the side that has to be put on top.
That's why I said the clerk said if you use the side winder you have to place the side with the emblem down & not on top which you would normally do because that's how it goes in the machine.
Then in that case, this Viking would be another of those "very few exceptions" that I mentioned. This is not true of all Viking machines, however.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 AM

my singer that uses 15j bobbins can use prewound.

i think the problem with your question is that you are asking to use bobbins (L) that do not fit your machine.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:47 AM

this is where i get my class 15 prewound bobbins. i use them in my singer embroidery machine all the time.

http://www.singertexas.com/index.php...6fed8c76ef9dbd
Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 AM

I buy Type A plastic-sided pre-wounds for 21¢ each here:
http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=87

The description says there are 108 in a box, but they actually contain a gross. I buy a box of 144 when they're on sale for $30.

These work in my Singer 15 and my Kenmore 1803. Haven't tried them in my embroidery machine that takes 15J's, but it looks like the Type A bobbins are about 1/16" taller than the 5J's, so I wouldn't try them in that.

I love this poly thread - it's very soft and very strong. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's too shiny for some projects. :)

ThreadArt also carries Type L, paper-sided or plain-sided in black or white.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Default I love mine, too!

Originally Posted by Joeysnana View Post
I bought a Sidewinder and love it!
I just rewind lots of bobbins before a retreat, class, or an RV trip.