Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Six-Hour Quilts..... >

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Debbie have you tried the 10 min block by Suzanne McNeill? It is a super easy one. I did a twin size quilt in about 4 hours. I even had to take out 2 of the blocks...youtube has a great video of her demostrating it. There are several different pattens for the same type of block. It's a simple 3 seam block that ends up being 20" square. If you do this one..I will caution you to be careful with the center part when you do that last seam. Mine came back up out of the seam and I had to rip it out twice. I figured this part out and then the rest of it went together smoothly. Just had to make sure I pinned it well. I made one for my SS at church in January. We had our revealing party and that was her final gift from me. I think I posted a photo of it in the pictures section if you want to see it. It's done in blues. Good luck.
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
By Kaye woods is supposed to take 6 hours. I have not been able to match that time yet. LOL. Maybe reading the pattern takes that long. I have done several now and they are great for Charity quilts. I even find my self putting 4-5 fabrics together for one when I think "that would be a good 6-hour quilt. Is it me or has anyone managed to finish it in 6 hours?????
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I think Quilt in a day is a Biblical day. Maybe the 6 hour quilt is in dog years (hours) or something.

Marie M.
I was thinking the exact same thing when I read your comment. I laughed so hard DH asked me if I was OK. I told him I would read it to him but he wouldn't get it. Ann in TN
Old 03-03-2011, 08:12 PM

I've actually been able to do one in about 6 hours. The "trick" was that it was my fourth (in a row), so I had the technique down cold. As you can imagine, boredom was my biggest challenge - but I had a deadline to meet!

I also cut my fabrics and batting at the very beginning and did almost no piecing of fabric and/or batting to make long-enough strips. This, of course, made it more expensive. To save time, I machine-sewed the binding on both sides. Using these techniques plus a serger, I've actually gotten the time down to 5 1/2 hours.

All that said, I greatly prefer taking my time and doing things right - especially attaching the second side of the binding by hand! I'm not proud of the quilts I've made in under 6 hours because anyone who knows anything about sewing/quilting can spot my shortcuts right off the bat.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM

I think the only way that could realisticly be done is that she has someone else cut the fabric, press the blocks and someone prepare the backing and batting, and all she must do is sew the blocks together. No breaks or interuptions of any kind, eating, stretching, rr breaks, phone calls, etc. She definitely doesn't have any laundry, house cleaning, cooking, errand running or children around to distract. I really don't think normal people or sub norm like me could do that in six hours. Maybe she is the like the gal on "Bewitched" and just twitches her nose and it gets done.I would want to sit and watch someone get one done in six hours. Maybe a small Wall hanging.
Debbie, how is the sewing room cleanup going? Hope you are all finished. Have any more pic updates yet?
Would like to see pics. of the 6 hr. quilt.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM

Pictures added. Where did everyone go????????? ROFL.

Sob..sob..hic...sob... :cry:
IS this the 6 hr. quilt? You must cut the batting the size of each strip and sew it down. I have done a few reversible quilts by Sharon Pedderson, but I'm not picturing this one you have as a QAYG. i would have to think about it.or see the instructions.
Great charity quilts.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
This one took me about 6 hours...... minus the quilter and binding!
I love your pattern on this one. Is it your own design, or did you follow Pattern?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
Originally Posted by MarieM
I think Quilt in a day is a Biblical day. Maybe the 6 hour quilt is in dog years (hours) or something.

Marie M.
Too funny, you made me laugh out loud. My family thinks I am nuts...
Me too... dog hours, LOL! :-P :-P :-P
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Pictures are on page 2 and it is a 6-hour quilt. Not my
own pattern. And yes you cut the batting 6" same as strips.

Thank you Crafty linda for the other pattern to check out.

Everyone's comments on here have been great. So many ideas. And so many times. LOL. I will get it down. I have made so many but I do have interuptions. LOL

Gerbie - I am taking the week off from my room because my elbow is so bad this week and I have it in a brace and on ice. LOL. I can't even push or turn a shopping cart. Hurts to move it.....that said. I will finish it soon and have mroe pictures by this weekend.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 PM

Pictures are on page 2 and it is a 6-hour quilt. Not my
own pattern. And yes you cut the batting 6" same as strips.

Thank you Crafty linda for the other pattern to check out.

Everyone's comments on here have been great. So many ideas. And so many times. LOL. I will get it down. I have made so many but I do have interuptions. LOL

Gerbie - I am taking the week off from my room because my elbow is so bad this week and I have it in a brace and on ice. LOL. I can't even push or turn a shopping cart. Hurts to move it.....that said. I will finish it soon and have mroe pictures by this weekend.
Well my dear just curious, not trying to push you, just encouragement. Hope your elbow gets better, don't rush that it would be more harmful that trying to get something done. get things done as you can. After all if your room has been like mine in the past it didn't get that way in a day or two lol, so I know it will take more time to get back in order.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 PM

By Kaye woods is supposed to take 6 hours. I have not been able to match that time yet. LOL. Maybe reading the pattern takes that long. I have done several now and they are great for Charity quilts. I even find my self putting 4-5 fabrics together for one when I think "that would be a good 6-hour quilt. Is it me or has anyone managed to finish it in 6 hours?????
I've made about 8 of Kaye Woods 6-Hour Quilts. The ones I made were reversible. I put them together with my serger, which should have been faster.....NOT! My granddaughter is 19, and she still has her quilt. Last forever, even though it took me a couple weeks from start to finish.