Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skipping stitches >

Skipping stitches

Skipping stitches

Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Default Skipping stitches

I have a janome 6600 and have been doing fmq on a memory quilt. I was given a fusible poly batting (not my choice) and I couldn't seem to get it to fuse....just seemed to compress the fibers. So I just basted the sandwich together using glue. Next I SITD around all the squares with the walking foot. When I started the fmq thr problems started...skipping stitches. And now I find some sticky stuff on the needle. I am thinking both issues are related to the fusible part of the batting. Does anyone have suggestions to fix this problem? Do you think I could "gently" wash the quilt and get rid if the sticky fusible stuff? TIA....Rose.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

If it's fusible on the needle, I think your best bet is to wipe down the needle frequently with rubbing alcohol (to clean the gunk off the needle). Worth a try, anyway.

I don't think washing a quilt will get rid of the fusible. Basting spray, yes. Fusible, no.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

I have only used Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt and have had good luck with it. I didn't know they made a polyester fusible. How is it fused? Is it water solvable that it can be washed out?
If you have already stitched the blocks, I would stitch around all the quilt edges before washing it.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

ITA with Prism to wipe your needle periodically with rubbing alcohol. I keep some of the individually packaged swabs in my sewing room, just for that sort of thing. Not a lot of alcohol on each and don;t have to worry about a spill from a bottle.

Also, consider changing your needle to something sharper than what you are currently using. Also, a larger needle. One or both, might be what you need to have the ability to "punch" thru the fusible and make a difference.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

If it's this batting: http://www.joann.com/fusible-polyest...prd_06194716a/
then the fusible is water soluble. I think you could test by wiping your needle down with water to see if it takes the gunk off. If it does, then *maybe* soaking the quilt in the bathtub (since you have already done SITD around all the squares) would dissolve the fusible on the batting. If trying this, I would use a lot of water in the tub, and I would dry the quilt by laying it flat (on a large flat sheet) and putting a fan on it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Before doing anything with the whole quilt, I would try washing a small scrap of batting to see if the fusible will wash out or not.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Before doing anything with the whole quilt, I would try washing a small scrap of batting to see if the fusible will wash out or not.
I wouldn't wash it ... some of the quilting is already done, and you could have a real mess on your hands!

Instead try the needle switch I suggested and clean the goo from the needle periodically.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM

I am using a 16 needle and don't have any bigger ones on hand....will have to make a run to the store....I have the alcohol pads and have already cleaned the needle, but I can't sew 6 inches without it skipping or the thread breaking.....if I put the binding on (so there are no raw edges anywhere) will I be able to safely soak the quilt in the tub?....the squares are 10" and SITD around all seams.....I guess I am confused because I had no problems with the SITD.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Clean the goo off the needle. If you're going to the store, get some titanium needles. That was the recommendation from my dealer when I messed up my timing due to glue. Good luck!