Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skipping stitches... >

Skipping stitches...

Skipping stitches...

Old 09-11-2016, 04:22 PM

Default Skipping stitches...

with fmq foot but not with open toe foot.

When I use a straight button-hole applique stitch, it doesn't skip, but when I use my free motion foot, it sews for a bit, (mostly straight), then it skips. I am stitching over applique put on with iron-on fusible.
I've changed everything, including thread, bobbin, needle, re-threaded and where the thread goes when it leaves the spool. I've also tightened the FMQ foot down so it is closer to the material.

Any ideas?

Watson
Old 09-11-2016, 04:34 PM

I'm thinking one of two things - your fusible or your needle. Try one size larger needle. If it's the fusible, I don't know that there's anything you can do.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:59 PM

I was going to suggest a larger needle as well. Also, there was another thread on a similar issue not long ago and the OP - after much threading; rethreading; cleaning; etc. discovered she was threading her needle in the wrong direction. Just putting that out there. But I'm guessing needle size.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Run your fingers down the needle to see if it is tacky from glue residue. If there is residue, try wiping the needle down with alcohol or similar and see if it goes better. It particularly difficult spots with FMQ sometimes I leave my feed dogs up and it seems to help. I lower my feed dogs again after I am done with the thick spot.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 AM

Changed the needle to a 100/16 and made no difference.

I'll check the needle for glue residue.

When I sew on my sample sandwich, it works fine.

Watson
Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Watson,

If you are using a floating rather than a hopping foot, try lowering it even more than you already have, so it is almost touching the top of your quilt (just a hair's breadth away). I had one quilt where I needed to do that when I was using my Westalee ruler foot. It made dealing with seams a pain in the butt, since I had to re-adjust the height of the foot at every seam. That was when I decided to spend the money for the Janome convertible FMQ set and the optional ruler foot that attaches to it., There's a thumb screw on the Janome convertible FMQ that allows you to easily adjust the height of the foot while quilting.

I never did figure out why I needed to adjust the foot that much for that one quilt.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 09-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Changed the needle to a 100/16
That should have been good enough, so now I'm thinking it's your fusible. I don't use fusible, so I have no more helpful hints, sorry.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Thanks Rob, I've got it down as far as it will go, but no luck. Nice horse!

Peckish....it must be the fusible, but I don't understand it because I've used it lots of times with no problem, although never with this batting...a Hobbs 80/20. I've always used a polyester iron-on craft batting with it. Maybe that's the difference. Regardless, I've given up because it just isn't going to work and I'm afraid to mess with my machine too much and not have it work for my big quilts.

Watson