Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slidelock ya or na? >

Slidelock ya or na?

Slidelock ya or na?

Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 AM

I always thought they went on the bottom of the ruler and the material butts up against it. Can't wrap it around my head this morning how putting it on top of the ruler helps get an accurate cut. Maybe I just need more strong coffee before I read the ad again!!
Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 AM

I use mine as Ginaky explains. The directions state to use it in this manner. I really like it because my cutting line never moves when I am cutting. I think it might be safer because my left hand is up on the handle....not on a ruler. I hope to never join the " I rotary cut my hand" club!
Old 09-26-2015, 04:42 AM

I don't have one but I watched a video on it a few weeks ago. I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I sometimes have trouble with the ruler slipping on long cuts. This should solve that problem
Old 09-26-2015, 06:24 AM

Was shocked at ow much it was, got it anyway, would not be without it now. Really saved my arms and wrists!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Love mine! It is so much safer for me to use, not to mention more accurate long cuts. I use mine on top of my June Tailor Shape Cut mat to keep the mat from slipping. It does require some adjustment as you do not use it in exactly the same way as a regular ruler. My bet is that the quilter who does not use hers was unable or unwilling to change how she uses her rulers. I made myself adjust because I can see the safety benefit for myself, especially as I grow older. The YouTube video does a good job of demonstrating how to use the ruler. It really does not slip at all once you press down on it. You do need the correct height cutting table to use it properly.

Edit: this ruler is not used to measure. It is used for cutting. I think that throws some people off.
Wow I couldn't have stated this one bit better, I totally agree with Prism99! I have both sizes and have l too have "learned "to use both of the side locks as Prism stated, the safety alone is monumental to me! When people post about their run-ins with the rotary blade and subsequent trips to emergency rooms, I shudder! I have a healthy 'fear' of the rotary cutter.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 09-26-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by annette1952 View Post
I don't have one but I watched a video on it a few weeks ago. I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I sometimes have trouble with the ruler slipping on long cuts. This should solve that problem

Annette1952

This definitely helped me, I bought the smaller one first, I find for me, I use the larger one most specifically for the longer cuts. Squaring quilts for binding I find it priceless!

As a side note, a small cottage company that is so very responsive to it's customer base.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
I use mine as Ginaky explains. The directions state to use it in this manner. I really like it because my cutting line never moves when I am cutting. I think it might be safer because my left hand is up on the handle....not on a ruler. I hope to never join the " I rotary cut my hand" club!

AMEN to that!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 AM

I love the Slide lock. I use it on top of the ruler. A man demoed it both ways at Paducah show. Using it instead of the ruler , you have more steps to do making each cut. Why do that, just move the ruler with the Slide Lock on it. The ruler does not move or wiggle at all. I have used the Rule Steady and it works just as great as the Slide Lock. I couldn't tell any difference.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:07 AM

I also love mine.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 AM

Pricey but so worth it. I love mine and wouldn't be without them now. I bought them all!