Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slidelock ya or na? >

Slidelock ya or na?

Slidelock ya or na?

Old 09-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
According to the man who developed it, whom I met in Paducah in April, he showed me to place it beside the ruler, not on top of it. If you go to this website www.slidelock.com there are several tutorials and demos on how to use it. I met him and his wife--he said he made it at her request and at the time they were working on developing the Sidekick template to use with it. Both of them were there working the booth.
I'm going to put up this website. I think this is the one. I really like the idea of these. They look like they make cutting real safe for sure. http://www.quiltersslidelock.com/
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Are you one to use two rulers while cutting? (If you are right handed, place one ruler on the right edge for the measurement you want (i.e. 2 1/2" strip), and then take a second ruler and place it just to the left, remove the one on the right, and cut.

If this method is for you, then go for it, because that's how you use the slide-lock ruler.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

You have to find a friend with one to try it out. It is a different way of cutting. There are no lines on this ruler so you have to use another ruler with lines to line up your cut.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 AM

I consider this tool to be one of the best ever that I have invested in. I never have any slippage of ruler so my strips are perfect.Love, love, love it, and all my friends who use it also got one.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
According to the man who developed it, whom I met in Paducah in April, he showed me to place it beside the ruler, not on top of it. If you go to this website www.slidelock.com there are several tutorials and demos on how to use it. I met him and his wife--he said he made it at her request and at the time they were working on developing the Sidekick template to use with it. Both of them were there working the booth.
That's interesting. When I bought mine it was called Rule Steady and I still have the directions with pictures that show to place it on top of the ruler. It was made in Australia with no US distributor at the time. I love it. I won't use a rotary cutter without it. I have the long and short size.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:11 AM

Yes!! What a difference that makes!

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
I use mine but they are to be placed ON TOP OF YOUR RULER to hold it in place, not in place of the ruler. I like it much better than the suction cup handles I tried before.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That's interesting. When I bought mine it was called Rule Steady and I still have the directions with pictures that show to place it on top of the ruler. It was made in Australia with no US distributor at the time. I love it. I won't use a rotary cutter without it. I have the long and short size.
The Rule Steady and Slidelock are different rulers.

The Rule Steady is indeed designed to be placed on top of rulers; it has two uneven sides, one of which is higher to compensate for the height of the ruler. The Rule Steady has rubber grips under the two sides. Here is a link to a Youtube demo of the Rule Steady:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpqNqK1q80

The Slidelock does not have two uneven sides and was not designed to be used on top of rulers; it is designed to be used as a cutting ruler itself. It has a single row of round "grippers" underneath the handle. The ruler itself has holes in the ruler under the handle. When the handle is pressed, the grippers go through the holes in the ruler to "grip" the fabric. It will not work on top of rulers in the same way that the Rule Steady does; the design is different. Here is a link to a Youtube demo of the Slidelock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hyEDLC4S8
Old 09-25-2015, 10:50 AM

I have both sizes plus the "lighted" ruler. Love them!!!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 PM

In MHO this is one of the best products for safely cutting strips. There isn't much of a learning curve and once you get the rhythm down you can cut strips really a lot quicker than moving your hand up a ruler.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:10 AM

love the slidelock!