Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slidelock ya or na? >

Slidelock ya or na?

Slidelock ya or na?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Default Slidelock ya or na?

Seriously thinking about getting the Slidelock, any opinions? Are you happy with it? Not worth the $? was it a wise investment for you? I have a real problem with ruler slipping when trying to get an accurate cut. Any opinions really appreciated. Thanks, Dorothy
Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 PM

I absolutely love mine! The far end of my 24 inch ruler always slipped when I got that far-now I use my ruler to measure what I want, put the slidelock against it and move the ruler out of the way and get my nice straight cuts. I have both sizes.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I just visited a friend who said she never uses hers, a waste of money in her opinion. I think you will find folks on both sides of the argument on this one. The best thing would be if you could find a quilt store or friend who has one you could try out and decide for yourself. Sometimes they're being demo-ed at big quilt shows, and you could try one out there.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Love mine! It is so much safer for me to use, not to mention more accurate long cuts. I use mine on top of my June Tailor Shape Cut mat to keep the mat from slipping. It does require some adjustment as you do not use it in exactly the same way as a regular ruler. My bet is that the quilter who does not use hers was unable or unwilling to change how she uses her rulers. I made myself adjust because I can see the safety benefit for myself, especially as I grow older. The YouTube video does a good job of demonstrating how to use the ruler. It really does not slip at all once you press down on it. You do need the correct height cutting table to use it properly.

Edit: this ruler is not used to measure. It is used for cutting. I think that throws some people off.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-24-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 PM

love it love it love it. Got both sizes
Old 09-24-2015, 04:44 PM

I use mine but they are to be placed ON TOP OF YOUR RULER to hold it in place, not in place of the ruler. I like it much better than the suction cup handles I tried before.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Here are some Youtube videos that show how to use the Slidelock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hyEDLC4S8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYOoRetnlfM

Although I use my Slidelock on top of my June Tailor Shape Cut mat, I do not use it on top of my other rulers. In terms of measuring, it does not take the place of my regular rulers. It does take the place of my regular rulers for cutting.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:54 PM

YES, YES, YES. They are wonderful.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 PM

Was one of the first "extra" tools I treated myself to and have not regretted it at all! Love it!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 PM

According to the man who developed it, whom I met in Paducah in April, he showed me to place it beside the ruler, not on top of it. If you go to this website www.slidelock.com there are several tutorials and demos on how to use it. I met him and his wife--he said he made it at her request and at the time they were working on developing the Sidekick template to use with it. Both of them were there working the booth.