Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slippery rulers!- Is there anything that will help?

Blog Entries
    I have been using sandpaper dots but the ruler still slips. My teacher in a class yesterday had a gripper that she put on her ruler. IT WORKS. You are able to put a good amount of pressure evenly on the ruler and not stress your arm or wrist at the same time.

I agree with how you hold your ruler and how far you make the cut. Makes a difference.

OH yeah, those sandpaper dots work GREAT....!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    I use TrueGrips from Nancy's Notions. They are great.

Ditto here - love 'em!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Sandpaper dots. You can buy them prepackaged or make your own.
    I use these too, works great

Once in a fit of frustration, I brushed rubber cement on the back of a ruler and let it dry. In my experience, it works the best of all that was mentioned. It does get "linty" and doesn't work as well after a LOT of usage BUT it comes right off when you rub it with your finger and you can put some more on. And just a weird thing....it costs less at my WalMart if you buy it in Home Improvement than if you buy it in Crafts. Same bottle, same size and everything....but about 50 cents cheaper in HI dept.

I use little soft plastic dots made by Dritz, called "Fabric Grippers". Have had them on my favorite ruler for six years now and they still work great. Recently came across them again and now have them on all of my rulers.

Once in frustration, I ran a glue stick (the craft kind) along the edge of my ruler. Be sure to let it dry before using it. The glue is acid free, and after it is dry, it doesn't come off on fabric. I have been using it for several weeks like this.

In a Pat Speth class (Nickel Quilt lady), she mentioned that she used to use the sandpaper dots but they scratched the other rulers. She now buys the cheap rubber shelf liner at the Dollar store (don't use Rubbermaid - too thick) and cuts a little piece to place under the ruler when she is cutting fabric. The ruler no longer scoots, you have to pick it up and move it. Works great. One package of shelf liner would last forever. She had a piece that was about 1"x2" piece for her 5" square ruler and maybe a 2"x6" for her long ruler.

A super inexpensive solution is surgical tape, The textured kinds they use for ivs availabe in drugstores.
    Quote Originally Posted by seweasy
    Hi! I purchased an expensive roll of plastic film that was "supposed" to keep the rulers from sliding when using the rotary cutter and the ruler. I can't tell much of a difference in the side of the ruler without the plastic film and the sides that does the film. Has anyone found anything that works better than the film?
    Sure would appreciate hearing back what has worked. It's probably my biggest problem in quilting, getting a really straight cut line. Thankfully the ruler I use the most, has a lip on it that catches the edge of the table but it's the smaller rulers that I have the most trouble with, and you would think it would be the opposite since they're smaller. Thanks, Chris

I like the OmniEdge rulers; one end has a lip that 'hooks' onto your mat.

I was recently gifted some Steady Betty ruler things. They are strips of Steady Betty fabric that stick on the ruler. You can cut them to the size you want and stick they on the ruler. I've just started using them and they work great. The only draw back is that the ruler won't slide at all and you have to pick it up to make even slight adjustments. I just have to get use to the process.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I use sandpaper dots but in a pinch I have used a small dot of hot glue.

Sandpaper dots. Love them and put them on all my rulers.

The sandpaper dots are the best.

I love the rubber cement idea. Gonna try it today! I had also bought the expensive film. Didn't help at all. And yes, I was holding/cutting properly. Oh yeah, I have one ruler with the lip. Love it. Wish they all had that lip!

I bought 'peel and stick' sandpaper made for those round sanders. Then using a paper punch, I got hundreds of grippys that stick on easily and work really well

I use these on all of my rulers They're great.

Thanks, There's always an answer out there!!!

Sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    The sandpaper dots work but I don't like having to pick up the ruler to move after every cut. And they eventually peel off leaving a mark on the ruler, they snag every loose thread too.

I use the little sandpaper dots on the backs of my rulers.

I use Invisigrip by Omnigrid on the back of my rulers and I love it. It is clear and when you press down on ruler it stays put but can adjust ruler easily when not pressing on it. I don't like the sandpaper dots or the rulers with the dots. Sandpaper scratches my fabric and makes ruler uneven and the rulers with dots are always in the wrong place. good luck.cutting is most important.

Those little stick-on sandpaper dots are great. And cheap. Almost any sewing and fabric store carries them.

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs
    I agree sandpaper! Another suggestion June taylor cutting matts. They hAve grooves for ur rotary cutter to fit into. I use it for almost everything!!!
    I have had trouble getting my cutter into the groove. Any solution for this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast