Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
I think we all have those moments. When I have them I try a couple of different things. I have tons of jeans so I grab a pile and start cutting the usable parts. Then when I am ready to make a jean quilt the "yucky" part is done. Or I will go into my scrap bin and cut some of those into squares or strips. Even if I am not sewing, I feel like I got something accomplished and then the sewing bug eventually comes back!
What is the "yucky" part?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 AM

I think we all get like that sometimes. Sometimes I think it's because we have so many projects and it's overwhelming. Or our workspace is such a jumble that to clean it up is daunting. I think if you just start looking at your fabrics and/or patterns you might get an inspiration and be ready to go again!!!! Never fear...you will recuperate from these doldrums and be back stitching up those fabrics in no time!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 AM

I am also in a slump, my husband passed away 3 months ago and you would think that I should be quilting, quilting, quilting, because I don't have to stop and make dinner or any other thing that a husband requires but instead I just sit and watch TV. So I have decided to take an applique class the Sunday after Thanksgiving to try to take me out of this slump... Sure hope this works...
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 AM

I know how you feel being in a funk mood. I keep trying to get back into quilting but get so overwhelmed with all I want to do and my UFO's I don't get anything done. My next trip to my sewing room is with a pad of paper and I plan to list my projects and then pick out one to do. Hopefully seeing the others on the list will get them out of my head.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Oh, I think you did solve it! DH is taking over and, like a good little wifey, you are stepping aside for him. Been there, done that! PUSH BACK!!! Take back your space and your hobby. Tell him you love him but you need him to stay out of your quilt area (at least for a while). Hope you regain control soon. -Shirley
Originally Posted by litacats
Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!!
make him use a seperate room and leave you to yours :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 AM

I know where you are coming from - I sit and look at things I need to be doing
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by janb
Originally Posted by Marlys
I think we all have those moments. When I have them I try a couple of different things. I have tons of jeans so I grab a pile and start cutting the usable parts. Then when I am ready to make a jean quilt the "yucky" part is done. Or I will go into my scrap bin and cut some of those into squares or strips. Even if I am not sewing, I feel like I got something accomplished and then the sewing bug eventually comes back!
What is the "yucky" part?
To me the "yucky" part is cutting out the seams and waistband and front pockets. I know that some people use them in their quilts, but I don't. It is hard on my hands to cut those parts out so I will just do 3 or 4 pairs of jeans at one time when I don't really feel like doing anything else. Then when I am ready to make a jean quilt, I have the legs and back pocket area to work with and it feels like you can jump right in to the piecing.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 AM

I was just in a slump for months, it was horrible. The main reason was that I had a round robin here to finish and I had no inspiration on what to do with it. I usually, but not always, work on one quilt until at least the top is done because it made me feel bad to have UFOs. Well, since I wasn't working on the RR quilt I felt I couldn't work on anything.

I had to make myself start working on the RR quilt and there were days when I literally sewed 4 pieces and got up and left the sewing room. I just kept making myself work on it a little at a time and then suddenly I had my enthusiasm back and finished it in short order.

Since then I've worked on my other things almost every day and even started a new quilt since I'm at the next stage of the first one AND I am working on quilting another one.

It just takes as much time as it takes. Maybe you need something new to inspire you, a small project like a table runner.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by luvrazz
I am also in a slump, my husband passed away 3 months ago and you would think that I should be quilting, quilting, quilting, because I don't have to stop and make dinner or any other thing that a husband requires but instead I just sit and watch TV. So I have decided to take an applique class the Sunday after Thanksgiving to try to take me out of this slump... Sure hope this works...
Oh, I know how that is. Sorry for your loss. My husband passed away 13 years ago. After he died I couldn't even go in my sewing room, because I kept seeing him standing in the doorway saying, "Whatcha working on now?" or " Aren't you coming to bed?" or "Need help?" I lived in that house 1 year at my kids' insistence on not doing anything too quickly. I am now here with no ghosts and my own identity. It takes time to recover. Just get out and do things that you never did before. Keep yourself busy and take one day at a time. Believe me, it DOES get better.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM

"Get thee to a fabric shop,girl" Maybe just looking around at all the fabric and books will get you out of your slump. If that doesn't work, then I suggest you just take a break from sewing for a while. It couldn't hurt. :thumbup: