Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
slump >

slump

slump

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM

We all need down time sometimes. I find I usually need a month or so "off" after the holiday rush. Don't want to even think about quilting for awhile. I live in TX where the "winters" are short and as soon as it starts to look or feel like Spring I get in the sewing room and rearrange all my fabrics (just touching them makes me want to start sewing again) and going through and seeing what I have for fabric gets me looking for the perfect pattern to make and before I know it I am back to working on 5 or 6 projects at once again. We all go through this at some point and it WILL pass. I just took a trip to my LQS and saw all the new fabrics and patterns and now have more projects to make than I have time for. Hang in there!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I haven't sewn in 3 weeks! I have 3 projects and 2 swaps I need to take care of. I look at my machine and sewing table and have no interest in doing anything.
I thought getting my FQ and stamp squishy would fire me up, but it did for just a short time. I don't know what is wrong with me :(
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I belong to the "get over it" school of counseling! Make yourself get up and get going on a project that will show some visible progress after you've worked on it for 30 minutes. Then drink a glass of iced tea, read a chapter in a book or watch the birds at the bird feeder for 15 minutes and then go back to the project for 30 minutes.

None of those things will cost you anything, except maybe 75 minutes and the cost of bird feed and the tea. Cheaper than a shrink and at the end you'll have someting to show for it.

froggyintexas
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 AM

When I get in a slump, I have to make myself to something. Even if it is just tidying up the sewing room...organize some fabric or just look through my stash. I decide how long I HAVE to do this (10 to 15 minutes usually) then if I still don't get going, I can go do something else (like having a Hershey bar), but often it turns out that the 15 minutes go by and I don't notice and I continue to work. It may not take me completely out of my slump, but I fell like I have at least accomplished something.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Six weeks ago today I walked out of my sewing room and have not been able to walk back in. I try, I go in, turn around, look at everything and leave. Just not interested. Have never been in this bad a slump before. All I want to do is crawl in bed and sleep. I force myself to clean up the kitchen once a day and that is all I get done. It is awful. I need to make a quilt for a dear friend who was diagnosed with cervical cancer advanced at age 37 and is not doing well on chemo. Went to LQS, clerk pretty much chose fabrics for me and here they sit. This is driving me nuts!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I haven't sewn in 3 weeks! I have 3 projects and 2 swaps I need to take care of. I look at my machine and sewing table and have no interest in doing anything.
I thought getting my FQ and stamp squishy would fire me up, but it did for just a short time. I don't know what is wrong with me :(
Does anyone have any suggestions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

go here and watch this wmv, it sure motivated me a bunch just to think about it. doesn't look like this link is clickable so guess you'll just have to type it in your browser.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 AM

ok it is clickable
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM

when i get into a slump, i just tell myself to start small....."today i will just sew one block" or "today i will just sort that pile of scraps" and before i know it, i want to do more than just one block.........hope your slump ends soon, there are great quilts and stuff waiting to be sewn by you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....gina
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Hi Davidwent: Where did that Davidwent enthusiasm go? I would suggest that you took on too much for the time alloted. Just rest a while, then find a quilt thing that is fun to do for yourself. Just do it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM

I do something else.... knit, crochet, etc. Just to keep the creative juices primed. When I've finished that project, else, I'm usually ready to go back to my quilting again.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM

David

Try some different fabric, something that really catches your eye, and that is quick and easy! That might help! If something is accomplished quickly, you might tend to want to try to do more? Maybe?

TreeFrog