Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small gestures >

small gestures

small gestures

Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 AM

No one in my immediate family sewed, but I really was interested in learning.
When I was in High School, my cousin took me under her wing and taught me to sew. She was my mother's age so she was more like an Aunt to me. I took a bus trip to her house (she lived in the next State) and we spent a whole weekend sewing. I picked out patterns for dresses and skirts and bought fabric. She supervised my efforts and gave me many great tips. That was 45 years ago but I still think of that weekend fondly as a highlight of my life.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM

I started quilting when I saw a friend hand pieceing a quilt and asked her what she was doing after she told me what it was i went out got some charm packs put them together got some batting and backing tied it and I was hooked... all self taught
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

A substitute Home Ec teacher. I was making a jacket with a very fine plaid. I matched and pinned the set in sleeves perfectly. Then after I sewed them in I noticed the darts were now in the front. She told me "you won't learn anything by ripping that all out. I've here all day with time on my hands let me do it for you." The next day I came into class to find them all ripped out and ready for me to start over. In later years she became me 4-H leader.

I didn't learn anything by ripping out but I sure got a lesson on kindness that has stuck with me for over 30 years.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM

I had sewing lessons as a teen, but always used my mom's machine. After I got married, I would go to mom's house and use her machine. When we bought our first house, my parents bought me my own machine. Nothing fancy at all, but it was mine. I set up my own sewing area in the basement. A few years later, my dad gave me a big coffee table book of quilts and $100 to help feed my antique quilt collection. Another thoughtful gift!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM

I have been interested in quilts for years and longed to make my first when I met the BF who encouraged me, enables all my purchases and my Mother and children who love the results and clamor over who gets the next one. The most shocking is the oldest who buys everything, her quilt is now her most treasured possession.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

A fairly recent kind gesture was that someone here on the board gave me a pair of thread snips. I was thrilled! I think of her and her generosity when I use them!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM

What a wonderful topic to post - when I was a poor, struggling college student, the uncle of my beau at the time (now ex-husband) bought me a discontinued model of a sewing cabinet. Both sides unfold and open to make a 5 ft. long surface, with four drawers on one side. I have never seen a nicer, or sturdier one since. Thank you "Uncle D"
Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM

I joined this board at the time I first started learning to quilt . At that time I did not know anyone who quilted nor was there a quilt shop within 25 miles of my house. I was so blessed by the people on this board who gave me the confidence and encouragement that I needed to actually make that first quilt. I will always be grateful to them for their help.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

My late DH was my Cheerleader! I miss that and My DM made me quilts and all of my clothes, great memories...

Last edited by Sadiemae; 11-04-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM

I have to say it was the Quilting Board that helped me learn to quilt. I had an idea for a wall hanging a year ago and wanted to make it from fabric. The wall hanging is now up. I couldn't have done it without reading and learning from everyone here. This place is amazing. So much great information.