Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small gestures >

small gestures

small gestures

Old 11-05-2011, 12:43 AM

Another mother at my sons school, she encouraged me to just go for it. She is an amazing quilter and she didn't laugh at my efforts. Now I understand how gentle she was with me when i was a beginner.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 AM

I don't recall anyone giving me any encouragement until I found this site.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 AM

My husband always encourages me with my quilting. He is glad when I buy things and fabric. He even gave up his office space to accomodate my Tin Lizzie ( that he bought!). He built a closet for my stash and redid my son' s bedroom for my sewing room (after he moved out LOL). His best is by far his encouragement with time, he always reminds me that I need to spend more time for myself with my quilting. Hopefully he is not just trying to get rid of me LOL.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:30 AM

I was one of those kids whose mother handed a needle and thread to at a very early age.
Back in the day, 3 labels and 25 cents - or was it a dime? - sent off to Wright's Trim would
get you a package of various trim pieces. She did that for me several times and in my little
mind it validated the sewing/handwork process for me.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:39 AM

My oldest daughter. I had sewed for over 45yrs. but "quilting" was not a word I knew. She came for a visit, bringing some papers printed for a small crazy quilt pattern for a paper pieced potholder. She showed me what it would look like. I thanked her and started to walk away, but she said, "oh, no, Mother, you sit down right now and sew it like I showed you. If you don't do it now, you will forget what I said and you will never "get it". She was so right, and that began my journey into quilting.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 AM

I've told this story here in my introduction but will repeat it. It was one of my dear friends when I was a senior in high school. She encouraged me to start sewing my own clothes. I had fiddled around with some things before but never serious about it. Joan went with me to pick fabric to make a wool skirt and V-neck vest. I had said previously that her sister was a home ec/the sewing teacher at a high school. Joan was an excellent teacher and I wore my outfit a lot...I loved it.

How it got started was..Joan always wore something to school that I loved and I would ask her...where she bought it and the answer was always...I made it. It also helped that both of us had boyfriends in the U.S. Navy that we were so in love with and were planning to marry when they got out...but it didn't work out that way for either of us. LOL
Old 11-05-2011, 03:45 AM

I started 100% on my own--just happened. I studied books and felt my way through. But my husband's support of my hobby has been the best. He used a Joanne's credit card when we didn't have much money and the reward card was all I used for fabric... and now that the money situation has changed (we've gotten older) he never questions it if I but $100 of fabric, or more. He suggested I needed a bigger quilting room, and for years I told him I liked the room I had--that it was cozy. But we finally switched two rooms and now I have a quilting studio. Still simple compared to others--but it's perfect for me--all I'll ever need. He never comes in to see what I'm making, but he will come in if I ask him to. I'm doing a craft show in a few weeks, and he looked up who sold folding tables and he's coming with me to help. That's all been more encouraging to me than anything.

Hmm--looks like I need to read up on the new rules on signatures. Headed to do that now. :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 AM

About 20+ years ago, a friend showed me how to sew lycra in order to making my daughter's skating costumes (she made costumes for other skaters, cheerleaders, etc.). I was a single Mom and had to watch my pennies. Even though it took income away from her, it also freed up time in order to make other costumes. She was so indulgent of my asking questions, giving encouragement, and was willing to pass her knowledge on to me. Haven't seen her in a LONG time, but will always remember her.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
A fairly recent kind gesture was that someone here on the board gave me a pair of thread snips. I was thrilled! I think of her and her generosity when I use them!
Same here: A kind member sent me some rotary cutter blades. They were about $14.50 each at the time and they are now $16.90. That sort of expense inhibits the amount of work we can afford to do. The gesture is very nicely thought of each time I work on a project.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 AM

I have to say my bff C we met because our kids were in the same home school group. When our girls were 2 I saw a beautiful quilt she had made for her daughter and I wanted to make one. I had sewing machine all ready because of many failed attempts at making clothes. Well, she took me to the store and then sat with me for 4 seperate days until I got it, made Yellow Brick Road. I have been quilting ever since and she is still teaching me great things. Just recently she taught me how to hand bind my quilts. She would have done it sooner but I really wanted to machine bind but mine never looked good.

My dh and mother are also good cheerleader but she was/is my inspiration and teacher.