Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small gestures >

small gestures

small gestures

Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Default small gestures

What is the best thing anyone ever did for you or gave you to encourage your sewing and quilting? I'm not talking grand gestures like buying super expensive machines or remodeling an entire room for your use. We all salivate over those stories. My mom, now gone 7 years, gave me a small sewing table (about 24"X48") with a recessed shelf to hold the machine about 25 years ago. The panel that covers the shelf when closed as a table swings out to the right side and provides a little more space to pile things. It's sort of portable, with a little sweat, very simple, but soooo useful. I thank her every day.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM

I'd have to say it's the encouragement my husband gives me. He tells me to buy the best, never quibbles over cost, and has patiently attended quilt shows whenever I needed him too.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Compliments from strangers who see me in costume at faire. I may not be the flashiest person out there, but compliments are nice. And as far as quilting, the kind woman who owns one of the quilt shops I frequent who said that I should sell my patterns.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM

This topic reminded me of an incident at my son's soccer game last weekend. I can't stand to sit and do nothing, and I don't bring handwork because of the chance that it could get muddy. So I crochet. The project I'm working on right now is very simple and easy, just a straight single-crochet blanket. One of the other dads at the game took a genuine interest in my project. He was asking me all kinds of questions - what kind and how much yarn am I using, how long will it take to make, how do I make the stitches, etc. He watched me for a while, trying to figure out how the stitches form, so I showed him, and even laid the blanket on his lap. He was amazed at how warm it was (another reason I bring it to soccer games!)

It was AMAZING to me how much his interest fueled my energy level. I crocheted all weekend long while watching football games, and added another 8 inches onto my project! I'm thinking I need to have him come over to my house so I can show him all my quilting UFOs - maybe I'll get some of them done!

Last edited by Peckish; 11-03-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM

When I began quilting, I had very little fabric and even less money! LOL. My father who is the one who really sparked my interest in quilting; decided he could not make quilts any more because of his eyesight and he just told me to go in and get whatever fabric I wanted, whenever I wanted. Plus a lady who I met through my blog, was going through her house and remodeling and asked if I would like some of the fabrics that she no longer wanted. Boy was I shocked when she sent me about 50 yards of material. Both of these gestures have made all the difference in my quilting and will never be forgotten!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
I'd have to say it's the encouragement my husband gives me. He tells me to buy the best, never quibbles over cost, and has patiently attended quilt shows whenever I needed him too.
Sounds like a keeper!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by shayzamn View Post
Compliments from strangers who see me in costume at faire. I may not be the flashiest person out there, but compliments are nice. And as far as quilting, the kind woman who owns one of the quilt shops I frequent who said that I should sell my patterns.
Compliments from strangers are the best, because you know they made the effort to reach out beyond their comfort zone, and they don't expect anything back. And, if I were you, I'd listen to the quilt shop lady.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This topic reminded me of an incident at my son's soccer game last weekend. I can't stand to sit and do nothing, and I don't bring handwork because of the chance that it could get muddy. So I crochet. The project I'm working on right now is very simple and easy, just a straight single-crochet blanket. One of the other dads at the game took a genuine interest in my project. He was asking me all kinds of questions - what kind and how much yarn am I using, how long will it take to make, how do I make the stitches, etc. He watched me for a while, trying to figure out how the stitches form, so I showed him, and even laid the blanket on his lap. He was amazed at how warm it was (another reason I bring it to soccer games!)

It was AMAZING to me how much his interest fueled my energy level. I crocheted all weekend long while watching football games, and added another 8 inches onto my project! I'm thinking I need to have him come over to my house so I can show him all my quilting UFOs - maybe I'll get some of them done!
It's always fun teaching someone. It makes us look at our own skills with new eyes.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
When I began quilting, I had very little fabric and even less money! LOL. My father who is the one who really sparked my interest in quilting; decided he could not make quilts any more because of his eyesight and he just told me to go in and get whatever fabric I wanted, whenever I wanted. Plus a lady who I met through my blog, was going through her house and remodeling and asked if I would like some of the fabrics that she no longer wanted. Boy was I shocked when she sent me about 50 yards of material. Both of these gestures have made all the difference in my quilting and will never be forgotten!
Generosity is a sure way to achieve immortality in the hearts and minds of others. I bet your dad was delighted to have you carry on his tradition.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:32 AM

When I was 12 my Mom finally was tired of me re-designing as she sewed for me, so she said "from now on you make your own clothes". And she gave me freedom to use her sewing machine. I've been sewing ever since.

When strangers/new friends come to our home my husband points out whatever my latest quilt is that is hanging on the wall.

I love DH and Mom!