Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small gestures >

small gestures

small gestures

Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 AM

My sister in law went for a visit down south (Alabama), I live in Ohio, she purchased a package of pre-cut 6 inch squares there were 4 sent in a package, she purchased them very inexpensive. Well, one set matched a set of sheets I recently purchased for my daughter. I asked to buy them from her and I would try to make quilt. She gave them to me I purchased the matching solid colors and used the top bed sheet for a backing, I tied the quilt. That was about 20 years ago. I am still quilting, not the best but I manage. I have no friends that quilt and everything I have learned is self taught.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Smile Small Gestures

It hasn't been just one gesture, but many. My daughter encouraged me to start quilting when I could no longer hold a needle to Xstitch or needlepoint. She has been my teacher for many years now. She answers questions, gives suggestions on "how-to", helps with color selections, encourages me when I get discouraged, says "it looks good, Mom" when it really isn't that great and best of all, she layers all my quilts for me. Thank you, Tam.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:50 AM

I loved fabric, thread and needles from the time I was a tiny girl and used to drive my mother crazy because she was afraid I would hurt myself. Finally when I was nine she said "There's my machine (a Featherweight) and all of the sewing things I have. Go and do what you have to do". I've been sewing non stop ever since. I sewed clothes for years and started quilting to use up the scraps. Over the years, I've had many former stitchers give me fabric, sewing supplies and even machines. I've turned it all into gifts and passed it on.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 AM

My Momma teaching me how to sew when I was young. I clearly remember the very first dress I ever made all by myself, I think I was around 11 years old. It had a circle skirt that I hemmed by hand...I remember think I would NEVER get finished! Momma has encouraged me through out years with praise, advice and sometimes oodles of fabric. Also the questions and compliments from people outside my family. My children tell their friends I can sew anything. I haven't tried to discourage their opinion of my awesomeness! LOL's
Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 AM

yes, this would have to be my answer as well. Aren't we lucky?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
When I was 12 my Mom finally was tired of me re-designing as she sewed for me, so she said "from now on you make your own clothes". And she gave me freedom to use her sewing machine. I've been sewing ever since.

When strangers/new friends come to our home my husband points out whatever my latest quilt is that is hanging on the wall.

I love DH and Mom!
Not much feels as good as having someone show confidence in your abilities (your mom) except when someone acknowledges your value and talents (your DH). Green with envy!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
No one in my immediate family sewed, but I really was interested in learning.
When I was in High School, my cousin took me under her wing and taught me to sew. She was my mother's age so she was more like an Aunt to me. I took a bus trip to her house (she lived in the next State) and we spent a whole weekend sewing. I picked out patterns for dresses and skirts and bought fabric. She supervised my efforts and gave me many great tips. That was 45 years ago but I still think of that weekend fondly as a highlight of my life.
Time -- that is often the greatest gift of all. How often we forget.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 PM

The first thing that comes to mind as the best ever gift, "my grandmother" told me I could not make a star quilt because they were too hard, then again maybe my Grandmother herself was the best gift. I was young and stubborn, I think she knew I would just cause she said I couldn't.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM

I love it!

Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
No one in my immediate family sewed, but I really was interested in learning.
When I was in High School, my cousin took me under her wing and taught me to sew. She was my mother's age so she was more like an Aunt to me. I took a bus trip to her house (she lived in the next State) and we spent a whole weekend sewing. I picked out patterns for dresses and skirts and bought fabric. She supervised my efforts and gave me many great tips. That was 45 years ago but I still think of that weekend fondly as a highlight of my life.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM

Well, this sounds bad but the best thing my mom ever did for me was leave me alone. When I was 5 I started taking sewing lessons and sewed for about 9 years with my mom over my shoulder telling me what I was doing wrong, that the color didn't look good on me or that I didn't have the fit right. Sometimes she even took over the project. When I was in junior high school I met the girl who would become my best friend. She sewed and we both began to drag the sewing machine, iron and ironing board into our rooms and then get on the phone with each other to talk sewing and make things. Bless her heart my mom left me alone and I learned so much from the mistakes I made and the way that I fixed them that I turned out to be a pretty darned good seamstress.