Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small gestures >

small gestures

small gestures

Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cowman Creations View Post
A substitute Home Ec teacher. I was making a jacket with a very fine plaid. I matched and pinned the set in sleeves perfectly. Then after I sewed them in I noticed the darts were now in the front. She told me "you won't learn anything by ripping that all out. I've here all day with time on my hands let me do it for you." The next day I came into class to find them all ripped out and ready for me to start over. In later years she became me 4-H leader.
I didn't learn anything by ripping out but I sure got a lesson on kindness that has stuck with me for over 30 years.
That wise and kind teacher knew you could have become discouraged early in your sewing career and maybe wouldn't have continued on. Heaven knows you probably have had plenty of practice using a seam ripper ever since starting quilting, as have the rest of us.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by kuseta View Post
I had sewing lessons as a teen, but always used my mom's machine. After I got married, I would go to mom's house and use her machine. When we bought our first house, my parents bought me my own machine. Nothing fancy at all, but it was mine. I set up my own sewing area in the basement. A few years later, my dad gave me a big coffee table book of quilts and $100 to help feed my antique quilt collection. Another thoughtful gift!
Your parents found a great way to pass along their values and build your independence at the same time.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by butterflies5518 View Post
I have been interested in quilts for years and longed to make my first when I met the BF who encouraged me, enables all my purchases and my Mother and children who love the results and clamor over who gets the next one. The most shocking is the oldest who buys everything, her quilt is now her most treasured possession.
There are loads of people on this board who wish they could have your family and the appreciation they show for your gifts.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
A fairly recent kind gesture was that someone here on the board gave me a pair of thread snips. I was thrilled! I think of her and her generosity when I use them!
It's always nice to hear on this board when someone sends another a pleasant surprise. I've wondered how they get hold of the address to send to???
Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
What a wonderful topic to post - when I was a poor, struggling college student, the uncle of my beau at the time (now ex-husband) bought me a discontinued model of a sewing cabinet. Both sides unfold and open to make a 5 ft. long surface, with four drawers on one side. I have never seen a nicer, or sturdier one since. Thank you "Uncle D"
Often the memories are the best gift of all. I can remember being that college student, hanging a jar of spaghetti sauce and some cooked spaghetti out the window in a book bag to refrigerate it. Good thing the winters were cold in Mass.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I joined this board at the time I first started learning to quilt . At that time I did not know anyone who quilted nor was there a quilt shop within 25 miles of my house. I was so blessed by the people on this board who gave me the confidence and encouragement that I needed to actually make that first quilt. I will always be grateful to them for their help.
I think I learn something new every day from this board. And did that first quilt pass the galloping horse test?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
My late DH was my Cheerleader! I miss that and My DM made me quilts and all of my clothes, great memories...
Hopefully you've gained some new cheerleaders here to help you face the future. I can remember the clothes my mom made me, and especially the doll clothes, which were outrageously expensive if purchased.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
I have to say it was the Quilting Board that helped me learn to quilt. I had an idea for a wall hanging a year ago and wanted to make it from fabric. The wall hanging is now up. I couldn't have done it without reading and learning from everyone here. This place is amazing. So much great information.
Yes, this board encourages all kinds of experimentation and original ideas. No one is constrained by rules and regs.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day View Post
Another mother at my sons school, she encouraged me to just go for it. She is an amazing quilter and she didn't laugh at my efforts. Now I understand how gentle she was with me when i was a beginner.
It seems that quilters are extraordinary in wanting to share their enthusiasm for their craft, and not just hog all the glory.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
I don't recall anyone giving me any encouragement until I found this site.
It must have felt like a long, lonely walk through a dark valley. I'm glad you've found some support here. p.s.-- I love your chicken!