Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small gestures >

small gestures

small gestures

Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
My husband always encourages me with my quilting. He is glad when I buy things and fabric. He even gave up his office space to accomodate my Tin Lizzie ( that he bought!). He built a closet for my stash and redid my son' s bedroom for my sewing room (after he moved out LOL). His best is by far his encouragement with time, he always reminds me that I need to spend more time for myself with my quilting. Hopefully he is not just trying to get rid of me LOL.
Wow, he certainly goes above and beyond. You better hide his identity from the rest of us!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by It'sJustMe View Post
I was one of those kids whose mother handed a needle and thread to at a very early age.
Back in the day, 3 labels and 25 cents - or was it a dime? - sent off to Wright's Trim would
get you a package of various trim pieces. She did that for me several times and in my little
mind it validated the sewing/handwork process for me.
I can remember those packages of trim arriving. All my stuffed animals sported lacy, ruffled collars and bows on their ears and tails.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
My oldest daughter. I had sewed for over 45yrs. but "quilting" was not a word I knew. She came for a visit, bringing some papers printed for a small crazy quilt pattern for a paper pieced potholder. She showed me what it would look like. I thanked her and started to walk away, but she said, "oh, no, Mother, you sit down right now and sew it like I showed you. If you don't do it now, you will forget what I said and you will never "get it". She was so right, and that began my journey into quilting.
It's so great when our children finally realize that we are not their enemy, that we actually know some stuff, and, even better, are able to share some interests with us.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM49 View Post
I've told this story here in my introduction but will repeat it. It was one of my dear friends when I was a senior in high school. She encouraged me to start sewing my own clothes. I had fiddled around with some things before but never serious about it. Joan went with me to pick fabric to make a wool skirt and V-neck vest. I had said previously that her sister was a home ec/the sewing teacher at a high school. Joan was an excellent teacher and I wore my outfit a lot...I loved it.

How it got started was..Joan always wore something to school that I loved and I would ask her...where she bought it and the answer was always...I made it. It also helped that both of us had boyfriends in the U.S. Navy that we were so in love with and were planning to marry when they got out...but it didn't work out that way for either of us. LOL

It has been stated that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I bet Joan was happy when you showed interest, and now I bet there are some who feel the same way when they see what you have made and want to know how it was done.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Yes, the compliments are great and even though I might see millions of mistakes most of the people that I know are none quilters and they only see the beauty of the quilt and not the mistakes. I have say though the thing that makes me want to do more is my 5yr old grandson. I have 5 kids and lots of grandkids but this one; he loves quilting. He's already picked out which of my machines is his; a treadle, I think the no electricity part intrigues him. He thinks sewing is great. My daughter has made a few block quilts and enjoyed it but when she moved out a few months ago she said she didn't have any space for her machine (my old one). This past weekend she had to sew buttons on my grandsons shirt and he watched her and was amazed that she did that. He said he was going to tell his GiGi (that would be me). The next day she came over to get her machine and said she could sew on the kitchen table. Her son was so proud of her that she wanted to do more. This little boy, Kaleb now inspires the both of us, one to do more (me) and the other to start doing more (his mom) What a joy he is.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM

My DH always ofers support, he goes with me when I buy fabric, and if I can't decide he helps me with that. If I mention I need something, he'll look online and find the best buy and buy it for me. He's terrific a real keeper
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM

My mother has given me so much! She taught me to sew, crochet and many other crafty things when I was very young. Those are things you never forget over the years. I didn't sew for many years, but I'm glad to be doing it again - quilting, that is. We have always kept our hands busy!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 AM

My dh gets up far earlier than he normally does one week a month to take DD to school. I usually take her but one week a month he takes care of everything so that I can go on a quilt retreat. And he doesn't complain about it!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Once at quilt camp (oh, last weekend was quilt camp time--first weekend of firearms season), I sewed together 148 HST sets, with 147 having one of the HST turned wrong. Mama Shirley "unsealed" all of them for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM

My mother taught me to sew, she never complimented me but would invite me to attend classes with her. This is the only common ground that we shared but what she gave me keeps me giving to others from the knowledge I learned by sewing.