Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Small project stash?

I love to make and store "gifts" so I can grab and wrap when needed. In addition to baby quilts and totes, I also make aprons ahead. Holiday aprons are great for when you remember you need a gift at the last minute. Bought a little child sized apron from the JoAnn's craft dept and used it as a pattern. Kids (both girls and boys) love to have an apron to help mom in the kitchen.

Yes. I keep pillow cases, table runners, and simple baby quilts (usually made from pre-quilts but bound by me by hand.) They are fun to make and have saved the day more than once. froggyintexas

I keep a Wal-Mart plastic tub full of sale items that I find for that very reason. Keeps me from feeling badly if something comes up and I don't have the time or the money to get something.
    Some even end up Christmas presents

Yours is a great idea. Small items would be easy to store until needed.

I have a couple of small quilts ready and plan to do more. This is a great use of practice blocks as well as orphan blocks, and a use for left over strips from other quilts. I usually buy fabric for a project, but always buy extra to allow for mistakes. This is a wonderful way to use it.
    Shirley in Arizona

I found some new undecorated canvas bags at a garage sale & plan to put orphan quilt blocks on each side (or
    maybe just one side) & have on hand for gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    I found some new undecorated canvas bags at a garage sale & plan to put orphan quilt blocks on each side (or
    maybe just one side) & have on hand for gifts.
    Another great idea!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I keep boy and girl quilts made up, tablerunners and dishtowels( that I have machine embroidered). I was a good Girl Scout------be prepared. Not always but I try. Some of the quilts are donated to Quilts for Kids.

My mom always kept a project stash---me not so much, but it would come in handy.

Yes, this is a good idea. There is always some benifit that I would donate to if I had things made up. Thanks for the good idea.

I like the idea too. There is always something coming up where a neat little home made project would be perfect. Thanks for the reminder.
    Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing, except maybe with smaller size quilts. Problem is I work so slowly!
    Charlie DiSante

I used to be alot better about this than I am now. My stash got depleted & I haven't reloaded it. I need to. I try to keep a quilt for a baby girl, a quilt for a baby boy, a "neutral" (usually scrappy) lap quilt, a couple of runners (usually in Xmas colors or scrappy) & a wall hanging or two on hand so I can have a gift if I need one really quickly. But, I used them up & now I really need to get the show on the road & replenish my supply. Right now I could REALLY use 4 (!) lap-sized quilts for gifts & how many do I have? One top not even quilted. I see several Jelly Roll Races in my very near future... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

What a great idea !! Love it ! Good way to use up alot of my stash..
    Thanks for another great idea Quilt Board friends

Blog Entries
    I do not do that, but I will now. It is a very good idea. Thanks so much for the tip!
    Bonnie

Blog Entries
    Yes. I started making baby quilts ahead of time. Why-- I hate to be under pressure to "produce" when I am not in the mood to even quilt! I love being able to look at the projects that I have finished, and feel good about the gift--make a label that is appropriate--and call it good. Baby quilts are so much fun and a joy to make. They are fun regardless of when you make them. It works for me.

I have 3 or 4 baby quilts tucked away. Burp cloths too, but that is about it. Wish I had time to stash some away more. Maybe sometime. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing, except maybe with smaller size quilts. Problem is I work so slowly!
    I like your idea and always think I will do that but never seem to find the time to have things like that ready ahead of time. I do a lot of quilts for people with cancer as well as baby gifts, wedding gifts, Christmas gifts and quits for the homeless so I never seem to get ahead. Of course I have to squeeze in a few for me now and then. I still would like to have some made up ahead but don't know if it will ever hapen
    Reta

When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

I don't have a stash of completed projects for donations, but it sounds like a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it.

Norma

I haven't saved anything back either and I think your ideal is a very good one that I plain to start , thanks for sharing your plain with us. thumbup:
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

I have a single bed size quilt tucked away so that the next time there is an appeal (such as after a flood or a bushfire) I have something to give. I will then make another one to replace it. Thinking I might add a child's quilt to it at some stage.

45 of you either do this or plan to do this. I am impressed. I'm doing good to get gifts to babies before they are a year old. I'm slow, plus have limited time for quilting. I'm almost done hand quilting my son's wedding quilt. He's been married two years this month. I think part of my problem is that I NEVER make simple projects. Even the mug rugs I made for Christmas were from complex blocks.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2