Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small project stash?

Small project stash?

Do any of you keep a stash of small, COMPLETED, sewing/quilting projects to use as donations when the request comes suddenly? I know I'm not saying this right, but I'm talking about maybe a half dozen mug rugs with mugs, pillow cases, table runners, shopping bags/totes that you can grab quickly if you need to donate to something, when you don't have time to start a new project.

I'm thinking about maybe sets of 3 masculine, feminine or unisex pillow cases. Two or three table runners, maybe seasonal. A dozen or so shopping bags (mine are more shopping bags than totes)

When the last request came, I did not have time to do much at the last minute and I'm still mad at myself for not donating more.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, except maybe with smaller size quilts. Problem is I work so slowly!

yes, as a matter of fact I usually have a few table runners, totes,placemats ready for a gift or donation to a charity. My family has many of these things and yet I continue to sew for the enjoyment of it.

Blog Entries
    i keep a fair 'stash' of gifts at the ready. i'm not good at a last-minute rush to complete a gift
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good idea, especially the table runners. They are quick to make, and could make a good "dent" in some of my stash

Never thought of that but wonderful idea. I have lots & lots of orphan blocks that I could use. Have made up oodles of 2 1/2" (2 colors), 3 1/2" & 4 1/2". They are for future? projects.....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Great idea!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't have completed projects but what I do is have raq squares cut, quilted and ready to be put together. I work and it seems that when one has a baby then someone else does as well. I buy flannel and use my Accuquilt to cut the blocks and then sew the X in the middle and around the outer edge so that batting stays in place and put them in a large tote. Then when I need a fast gift for a baby or what ever I go thru them and pull out ones good for boy/girl whichever is needed and have a quilt put together in no time. I don't have a lot of time either so this is one way I can give a homemade gift without stressing. I also did this when my grandson went to kindergarden and needed a towel to sleep on. I got permissions from the teacher to make him one the size of a beach towel then embrodieried his name, the school and the year on it. He was so proud of it, especially seeing his name on it. The other nice thing about making this for him to nap on is since he wasn't allowed to bring a pillow to school I could just put extra batting in the one end so he'd have a built in pillow and not get into trouble.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Nope. I only make pillowcases for ConKer Cancer and I'm in the process of making rag quilts for charity. Everything else is made "just because" or for someone in mind.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I think that is a wonderful idea. I love the idea of table runners but don't use them because my sewing is always on the table. If I made some for gifts I could have them made and ready when needed. Another great idea from the quilt board.
    Lorraine

I've never thought of it that way but what a great idea! I think I will start to at least put some projects together and then as I have time or just need something small to work on complete them and either be ready or at least partially done the next time I need something. Thanks for the idea! Sometimes we just need someone else to kick start us or get us thinking in a different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I've never thought of it that way but what a great idea! I think I will start to at least put some projects together and then as I have time or just need something small to work on complete them and either be ready or at least partially done the next time I need something. Thanks for the idea! Sometimes we just need someone else to kick start us or get us thinking in a different directions.
    Yeah, it's not something I'm going to spend a week doing, but when I've got a bit of fabric--------just right for a pillowcase------I'll whip one out. Reduces the leftover fabric stash. And I do have a pretty good bunch of oprhan blocks I inherited a year ago-----------just have not done anything with them.

The benefit auction for the kiddo with lung problems was a few weeks ago. Things were going for two and three times the estimated values, mostly because everyone cared about the teen. The personal sized quilt I made brought in $240 which shocked me, because I have been tickled if we got $100. But that was all I had time to complete. I know a trio of pillow cases would have gone well. And I'm thinking shopping bags would have too.
    U N T I E

Great idea! Worth some time to use up stash. My biggest problem is the price of batting. I get extras when they're on sale, and do save the strips cut off a quilt for small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    Great idea! Worth some time to use up stash. My biggest problem is the price of batting. I get extras when they're on sale, and do save the strips cut off a quilt for small stuff.
    Heavens, most of the small projects I do have second hand "batting". Blankets or Goodwill comforters. And also bits of batting scraps, whipstitched together. All of the shopping bags are reclaimed fabrics.
    U N T I E

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Now I need to get on board and make some "gifts" for in case ofs. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Thanks for drawing attention to this!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I've had a couple of unfinished tops that have become charity quilts, gifted quilts or raffle quilts when the need came up. They went off to the LA, came back and were bound pretty quickly. Need met, plus a top gone from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    I've had a couple of unfinished tops that have become charity quilts, gifted quilts or raffle quilts when the need came up. They went off to the LA, came back and were bound pretty quickly. Need met, plus a top gone from my home.

Almost everything I do goes elsewhere-----------it's just that I need some stuff done ------------yesterday-----------in case it's needed.
    U N T I E

I always have stuff done ahead of time. I sew in spurts and sometimes I don't have the time or energy to get a project done quick.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I have some runners that are ready when I need something to donate as well as potholders. I'm thinking I might add a few wallets too.

piney

Blog Entries
    I remember visiting a friend years ago when I first started quilting. She had a box on her shelf that was labeled "Agape" - love gifts. She had assorted small items in there to give away as needed. I've never forgotten that box and try to always have a few things on hand.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
    Never thought of that but wonderful idea. I have lots & lots of orphan blocks that I could use. Have made up oodles of 2 1/2" (2 colors), 3 1/2" & 4 1/2". They are for future? projects.....
    DITTOand 6.5 and 7.5 and even 8.5 blocks are in containers- now to putem to good use
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    I always have several lap quilts made and ready to donate. I don't make any of those little things, so I don't have them on hand. I used to have some table runners handy too, but have given them as gifts and not replaced them in my stash. I do need to finish up a couple quilt tops to have available for the next "emergendy".

That is such a good idea. I have often thought why don't I make some things ahead of time and have ready to give away. Add that to my to do list. Thanks for the reminder.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Blog Entries
    I am starting to work on making a stash of ready made projects but right now have too many other projects that need to get done but some will maybe wind up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    yes, as a matter of fact i usually have a few table runners, totes,placemats ready for a gift or donation to a charity. My family has many of these things and yet i continue to sew for the enjoyment of it.
    i make lap quilts mostly scrappy ones they are great to have for extra gifts. The lap quilt also is easy to quilt
    on the regular sewing machine.
    Told my kids and grands that if they get tired of getting them TO TELL ME STOP ENOUGH.. So far no stops requested.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast