Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 AM

mzsooz,
I don't get there often since It's in another country :-)..but when I do - I always find something - I went yesterday just to look around - hoping to find a couple of green pieces for a project....didn't really need anything - and walked out over $100.00 later...it's so easy for me to find things there..
Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 AM

I don't buy at JoAnn's any more for some of the same reasons that happened to you. They have cut there staff so much you can't find anyone to cut the fabric. Then there were times when there was a huge line up to have fabric cut and the 2 people that were cutting fabric were walking around putting the bolts back in place and it took 15 minutes before she got it all put away. Then there was a time I was the only person in line and made me stand for 15 minutes while she put bolts back in place. I also got several cuts that were not straight and one gal couldn't find a scissors and ripped the fabric off the bolt and made a mess of it. On busy days there it could take 20 minutes to a half hour to get checked out as they only had two lines going for checking out. I got so fustrated with them I walked out and haven't been there since. I use to buy all my craft stuff there also and liked there seasonal decorations.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I would rather have fabric ripped than cut crooked!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 AM
MNM

Is Ikea a fabric store? We don't have a store by that name here in my area or at least I have never heard of it.
Our Joann's is about 45 miles from my home so don't go there often. Actually everything is 45 miles from my home I can either go up the hill or down the hill-45 miles.
MNM
Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Ripping fabric doesn't mean it will be straight either as it stretches the fabric and the blocks when cut are off a bit. It doesn't really matter what method you use to each is own do what you want! I won't tear fabric but that is my own choice.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i can't help but ask this question ...

why is it the store's fault if the place is packed with customers?

if i have to wait and i'm the first in line i get cranky. if i'm in a line, i sure don't blame the employees for having to wait.

the real problem is obvious: all those other shoppers should have had the courtesy to stay home so i could have the store all to myself. :lol:
Patrice, you're joking, right?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lilaciris
I always feel so bad for any of you that have bad experiences at Joann's.

I work for one here in Michigan. I know about the hours thing. And it is minimum wage but the job market is terrible here.

Most times we have enough people, even on the days that we are busy because of one sale or another, but they constantly tell us that if we get backed up, we are to call the manager for additional help.

They constantly maintain a "guest first, " attitude. Even the headsets we wear are called guest first radios.

I work at the cutting counter, register, I do a lot of the demonstrations and I also teach a class.

Most of the women that I work with are awesome; great attitudes and always helpful.

I sure wish all of you could come shop at our store.
Lila - What store are you at? I shop in the greater Detroit area and go to the many different JAs. I find the ladies friendly and helpful but it's too bad that they seem to be alwaysshort staffed.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i can't help but ask this question ...

why is it the store's fault if the place is packed with customers?

if i have to wait and i'm the first in line i get cranky. if i'm in a line, i sure don't blame the employees for having to wait.

the real problem is obvious: all those other shoppers should have had the courtesy to stay home so i could have the store all to myself. :lol:
Patrice, you're joking, right?
about which half of the comment?

dead serious about the first half.

wishful thinking in the second. c'mon. be honest. who doesn't dream of having a whole store and the entire staff's attention all to themselves? especially as soon as the doors open on the first day of a killer sale. :lol:
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lilaciris
I always feel so bad for any of you that have bad experiences at Joann's.

I work for one here in Michigan. I know about the hours thing. And it is minimum wage but the job market is terrible here.

Most times we have enough people, even on the days that we are busy because of one sale or another, but they constantly tell us that if we get backed up, we are to call the manager for additional help.

They constantly maintain a "guest first, " attitude. Even the headsets we wear are called guest first radios.

I work at the cutting counter, register, I do a lot of the demonstrations and I also teach a class.

Most of the women that I work with are awesome; great attitudes and always helpful.

I sure wish all of you could come shop at our store.
Where is the store you work at? i go to the one in taylor and Allen Park. usually 2 cutting..i like both of the stores for different reasons. rarely have any problems.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 AM

Yesterday was my first visit to JOANNNS as it is on the other side of the city. Ladies were very friendly and helpful. I had to buy what I needed in two pieces. I had a coupon and the gal who cut my fabric put a note on the paper saying to charge me as if it were one cut. At the cash register, the gal rings me up.... woooppppsss, no 40% discount on one piece. I said no, they are counted as one. I showed her the note and she said, "oh, I didn't see that." She rerang the and I got my discount. She was not very friendly but not obnoxious. By the way, I only saw two workers in that GIANT store and they were wonderful. Now, that is a BIG store.