Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 PM

I was actually in the Joanns that is about 22 miles away from my home, not once, but twice today. I too needed some black Kona, 4 yards and wanted to use my coupon. About 3 employees in the store, very, very slight wait at the cutting table, pleasant, wanted to know what I was working on, and when I admired some fabric on the bolt that they were just putting away, I said, oh how pretty and they said it's less than a yard, do you want it for 50% off as a end of bolt, I said sure. We laughed about my spur of the moment "savings".

The second time, DH and I decided to go out for dinner at Olive Garden which is right across from the same Joanns. I had forgotten to get some interfacing on the first trip, so I ran in to get that while DH got us a table. The newest member of the staff who we have gotten to know recently, said "Hi, I was wondering if you were going to come in today".

So the bottom line is, I have had no problems at our Joanns. Yes, it is a hassle when you want to use your coupon and everything is on sale so you can't use it, but that is the way it goes. AND their receipts are hard to decipher, so I always check them closely. So sorry that some of you are treated so shabbily and have no where else to go within a decent distance.

Like Granda, when DH and I meet a clerk in a grumpy mood, we think it is fun to try to be extra nice and coax them out of it. We usually manage to get a smile, but not always.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM

I am lucky enough to live right in the middle of two of the supercenter Joann's. One is a LOT better than the other. I will only go to the second if I happen to be in that shopping area.

I have never really had trouble at the cutting counter, some long lines on coupon events, but they move fast. However at checkout, it seems like nobody knows what they are doing.

Lol I will still go there though. I love Joann's.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Hi Gail. I'm glad we don't have a JoAnne's close by. I have enough stress.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM

I had something like that happen. There was only 1 girl working the cutting counter at Joann's I took my number and waited I had a huge cart full. A lady walks up to ask a question, no fabric in her hand but the girl at the counter made her get a number for a question. So she did while we are waiting another employee walks by and the lady with the question goes off with her (maybe getting her question answered)
My number gets called. I have a HUGE cart full of fabric and I want a lot of it in 1/2-1 yard length. The new lady behind me (not ? lady) has a tiny little ribbon role that she only wants a yard. I tell the employee to let her go. BUT because question lady took a number (remember that) now the lady with the ribbon is not next. The employee then proceeds to call the next number and wait for the lady to show up.
All the while I am thinking I still have the number in my hand should I be going. See what you get for trying to be nice. So ribbon lady had to wait for me to get my 20 bolts of 1 yard cuts, and the question lady to come back to get 1 yard of ribbon. But ohh well Ribbon lady and I chatted while we waited for question lady.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Quilting Turtle I love my JoAnns also. It is on Navajo in 'San Diego and I have never seen less than three cutters at once, I do agree though, that the check out can be unwieldly at times with not enough clerks.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Just have to remember, these ladies would probably LOVE help... but the then the bonuses wouldn't be as large for those at the top :roll:

Sad with all the people out of work , also
I was hired by Joann's once but never worked a day for them. After they hired me they informed me they would only pay minimum wage which at the time was five something. AND I had to buy my "uniform" to wear. So, I quit before I ever started!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 PM

I always feel so bad for any of you that have bad experiences at Joann's.

I work for one here in Michigan. I know about the hours thing. And it is minimum wage but the job market is terrible here.

Most times we have enough people, even on the days that we are busy because of one sale or another, but they constantly tell us that if we get backed up, we are to call the manager for additional help.

They constantly maintain a "guest first, " attitude. Even the headsets we wear are called guest first radios.

I work at the cutting counter, register, I do a lot of the demonstrations and I also teach a class.

Most of the women that I work with are awesome; great attitudes and always helpful.

I sure wish all of you could come shop at our store.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

i don't get to Joanns often but when I have they are nice.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM

We have a big Joanns and a small Joanns within a few miles of each other and I think the small Joanns does a better business. They seem more organized and the gals are a lot friendlier and they seem to know what they are doing.

My biggest gripe with the big store is the cutting table. I'm sorry, they say they train these girls to cut but I beg to differ. I bought fabric where one end was really ragged and uneven but the gal told me if she didn't cut the bad end evenly she would have to measure from the long side vs. the short side and charge me for the extra 5". I was speechless.

Fortunately, we also have a local grocery store building that was converted into a fabric warehouse, it's a bit overwhelming, my friend won't shop there because it gives her anxiety attacks, there's so much stuff, but when they cut they generously throw in an extra 10" or so. Gotta love that!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM

I guess we are lucky...there are at least always 5 employees or more in our Joann's. It's a really big store, and they usually have 2 people on cuttng table, 2 on checkout, and 2 elsewhere. Very busy store too.