Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................ >

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

So.... I went to JoAnn's today and ................

Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM

Our Joanns is super!! Yeah, sometimes there's lines but they usually have two or three people cutting and 1 or 2 checking out. Our's carries good fabric, notions, and books. The sales staff is friendly and helpful.

No matter where I get fabric I usually fold my own. Whether it's at Walmart, an LQS or the Eleanor Burns tent in Paducah. It helps the lines go faster and I know how I want it folded.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Administrator

i can't help but ask this question ...

why is it the store's fault if the place is packed with customers?

if i have to wait and i'm the first in line i get cranky. if i'm in a line, i sure don't blame the employees for having to wait.

the real problem is obvious: all those other shoppers should have had the courtesy to stay home so i could have the store all to myself. :lol:
Old 07-11-2010, 04:15 AM

I have 2 Joanns within easy driving distance (1 superstore - 1 regular store). Attitudes are pretty nice at each store. The regular store seems to have more experienced employees (or more experienced fabric handlers).

I questioned the type of fabric to use outside that was weather resistant and an experienced sewer kindly instructed me and answered all my questions on the type to use and what she actually used.

Just recently I 'heard' the cutting gal RIP the fabric someone was purchasing and I gasped! The customer said she was HAPPY to see that someone rips the fabric instead of cutting it.

Good thing I wasn't buying any fabric that day. I think I would have "LET HER RIP" and then tell her - I want it cut.

As far as shortage of employees goes, I think that's the general business attitude these days. Business don't want to pay for 'extra' employees to be on staff to stand around waiting for customers when sales are on. (Joanns has sales all the time anyway) Employeers would rather the employees hustle their butts off and have the customer wait a little longer.

Please show (us) employees a little patience...we don't like it either...but it's a job...no matter what the pay is.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 AM

Our Joanns is great- the gals are always nice. they do complain about not having the hours. They try really hard to make sure everyone is getting helped. I don't really mind the wait if you see them trying hard.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:43 AM

Thank goodness I have never had problems like these at the Joann's I go to.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 AM

The one I go to most often has very helpful staff who have been there a good while. My friend went in on day when apparently one of the regulars was on vacation and the 'newbie' either didn't have a clue or just didn't care. The next time we went in she commented that the one who was there last week 'sure didn't last long'...

I realize that all kinds of stores are having to cut back because expenses are rising more quickly than profits. But if you cut back too much on staffing, it drives customers away and you've lost even more. Cutting fabric is labor intensive and the only way around that is precut fabrics, which doesn't always work out well.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:15 AM

I really think it depends on the store. I had one by my old office that was great, one my my mothers house (between offfice and home) and it was not as good but ok. There is another (I know I am lucky!) about 20 minutes north of me and the people are just ok. Lines are always very long - but I am also there on the weekends.

Overall - I usually plan a while at Joannes since I wonder quite a bit. So the wait in line is kind of expected when I get there.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:58 AM

i've had good and bad experiences at the one joanns in the okc area. they are always short staffed but that's not the clerks' doing.
hancocks is usually short staffed too and the clerks seem to move in slow motion. i guess they have gotten used to knowing there isn't enough help and only so much they can get done.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 AM
RMM

The other day I purchased some interfacing...the clerk cutting the fabric asked if I was on their mailing list. I said I had filled out app quite some time ago and never have received any fliers. Now, if you were on the ball, would you not take initiative and get another app for a customer????? She just said "oh, that's strange" and finished out the cutting!!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 AM

I LOVE my Joann's!! They get most of my money ;)