Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So.....It's Come To This >

So.....It's Come To This

So.....It's Come To This

Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 AM

If I am right (great beginning, huh?), I am older than most of you and so have been enjoying (?) what is being discussed here longer. Got a suggestion that might make things at least focus. Maybe even make things more understandable. Pray for 'better'?

Suggestion: Make a list or lists of what is stressing you, what you are thinking about/feeling, medical issues for you and all family members, projects you want to start/finish, future family plans, every last thing that needs your direct intervention, and/or everythig that .... You get the idea. Write it all down; break it into the year it started or any other increments that work for you. Whatever.

Suggestion Part 2: Do something nice/good for you when the lists are done. (I bought my first bowl of pre-cut fruits this week. I just did not want to be bothered with prepping the fruit, etc. One step for Alvie! Probably not a permanent one but it felt good and the pork chops improved no end. Yes, a rather strange thing to do and count as "for me" but it really felt good.)

Suggestion Part 3: When you are feeling more relaxed and friendly, take a good, long look at the list(s). A really "no holds barred" look. When I did, I quit wondering why I was so scattered and couldn't remember things and, and was ecercising my seam ripper so much .... At that point, I crossed worrying about mental insufficiency stuff applying to me from my list.

By this time all of you will have decided if my suggestion is worthwhile. Or whether or not you will personalize it for yourselves and try it.

Absolutely cut yourself some slack. Try getting more sleep. Try learning to meditate. Do things that make living in your skin easier, more pleasant for you, less stressed/stressful. I, personally, demand hugs quite often and I am no respecter of persons who are asked to come forth with the hugs. (My attitude is 'Hugs Now! Keep what you want and/or MUST keep and let the rest go to the lucky winner - not necessarily you. DH recently won the ability to use my GPS.)

May we all benefit from loving and understanding ourselves just a tad more. And let's all join in celebrating how much less ripping we do.

Bless all of you.

A.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 AM

I think this can happen to even the young quilter/sewer/crafty person.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My machine always turned on with the needle all the way to the left. ?Makes no sense whatsoever? Thanks to a poster here I learned how to reset it so the needle is always in the center position when it turns on. I have a Brother but so far has worked on every machine that has programmable settings.
I have a computerized Brother. how do I make that same adjustment?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM

I keep a little pocket sized coiled book to the right of my machine with a note of my settings for each type of foot I use or the size I cut my binding and the size of the seam I want etc. I can't remember anything and it saves me so much time refit urging it out. I have the ability to set my machine to remember where I was settings wise when I turn it off, so if I'm piecing and leave it for a day, I don't have to reset it every time. That helps me a lot. It is a big club we're in in this department ).
Old 05-24-2017, 04:56 PM

I am so happy that I am Normal. I was getting worried. Whew! Big Relief. I can handle a sticky Note. Thanks,
Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 PM

At least you still have the wisdom to write a note. Be thankful
Old 05-24-2017, 07:54 PM

yes, it's come to this. Write yourself notes for everything. Went to the LQS today because out of all my thread I didn't have a bright to quilt a baby quilt. I remembered the thread & the JR I had on hold but forgot to get bobbins. Turn around & go back because I didn't write a list. Mental notes don't work most of the time.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM

I love this! Good luck with putting the not on the machine....thanks for the laugh.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Well, I'm almost 72, folks, and I, too, forget lots of things -- just last week I missed a doctor's appointment (and an important one at that), but I think we're all just too doggone busy. So, yes, I have a CRN degree (oh, that's Can't Remember Nothing). I don't have problems with settings on my sewing machine(s) because mine are all vintage -- I'd be lost if they were computerized. I retired for medical reasons (not mental) a couple of years ago, so sewing is one of the most enjoyable things I do. But, I've got to organize appointments -- those are important ones! We don't go to concerts really often, but tickets to the last one we went to were almost $100, so it would hurt to miss one of those due to faulty memory! The funny part is I have to emphasize to my doctors, etc., that they DO NOT use my cell phone number for reminder calls -- we live in a very rural area and cell service is practically non-existent -- that's what happened last week!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 PM

My 2013 vintage Singer resets to a straight stitch whenever it's turned off. I not only turn off but unplug it when I leave the room because we have lots of lightning storms. My only beef is that the touchpad is low on the front and I sometimes bump it by accident while wrestling a quilt around. It would be very bad to change to a zigzag when I have a straight stitch foot on the machine, and it's bad enough when all it does is cause me to zig a bunch of wrong stitches in my work. It beeps with every change, but sometimes my mind or ears are out to lunch.