Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Upset! >

So Upset!

So Upset!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
We brought home a darling new puppy a few days ago, and he's laid down under my sewing machine and quietly chewed through the cord from the foot controller of my Juki2010Q!! This is not the power cord, but the cord between pedal and machine. The foot controller is plastic and apparently snapped together. There are no screws and no way I can see to take it apart. The foot controller is fine, it's just the dinky little cord that needs replacing. Well, after calling around, I find that Juki is telling it's shops that the cord is not available and you have to buy a complete foot pedal and cord... to the tune of $287! The machine only cost me $800 new, including shipping!

Anyone have any ideas?
Try ebay ...love the puppy anyway , so sorry
Old 07-26-2014, 04:14 AM

try Ebay....you might find one reasonably priced....
Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

This is the adorable little culprit...
Attached Thumbnails 013.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 AM

The controller comes apart. I know it looks like it doesn't but it does. Flip it upside down and with your thumb press against one side of the controller that is stationary when you are using your machine. It should pop loose, then do the other side. It will snap back together. If it has a button on the outside but on the side of the controller push that button in while gently releasing the top of the controller by prying it loose with your fingers.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 AM

i had a friend come over to sew with her puppy, and it chewed through my foot pedal cord. She owns a quilt shop and is an authorized dealer for Pfaff machines. She used electrical tape and just taped my cord back together. Then she offered to replace my foot pedal, but I wanted to keep it as a souvenir. It's been tapped together for about 6 years now, and works perfectly. The cord is made up of 2 separate wires covered with rubber. Make sure and separate the wires before you tape them. If you get the wires mixed up, right one on left side or left one on right side, the machine will start sewing as soon as you turn it on. Just reverse the wires and then it will be fine. Electrical tape is not what you would call cheap, but it is a whole lot cheaper than a new foot pedal.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Our puppy did the same thing last week. My Husband just cut out the chewed part , stripped the plastic off , then splice the wires together and wrapped in electrical tape. It may not look the greatest, but it works just fine. Good luck !
Old 07-26-2014, 05:53 AM

I was just going to say what quiltedsunshine did... If you lived nearby, either hubby or myself could fix it for you. Here, our chewer, was a Dutch Bunny -- he was on hubby's S*^$ list for quite awhile
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 AM

what a dear puppy... he needs supervision and lots of bones to chew on.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:07 AM

Sounds like it's not as simple as a regular foot pedal. It's controlling both the motor and the thread cutter. The guy she bought it from says he can fix it. I think that even with the downtime while it's traveling that would be her best option.
The controller should look and act like new again when he's done.
Rodney
Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 AM

SewBizGirl, The pup is adorable! look at that innocent face lol !