Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . . >

Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

Old 06-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I stay away from purchasing stripes. If they are in a stash of estate sale bundles, itls ok. Goes into the scrap bin or use for an applique. My DGD calls apples and scat, filler, since her little sister arrived. When her mother talks about a diaper change, she says sissy filled her diaper. Now it's always "filler" to her.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
yes on most lines (other than what they consider basics/blenders) they only do one print run. The good news is I find that if the designer has other lines (in the future) a lot of times they will use the same or coordinating/complementary colors in their other lines. If you run short a lot of times if you can't find anything else, check out their other lines.
Good point - when I ran out of the plum color Vin Du Jour I discovered that the same designer had just come out with another cutesy-French-named fabric line with very much the same color tones. Found it trolling the internet fabric sites. Saved!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 AM

Is it just me or are there far fewer old school calico fabrics out there?

Do I need to go to a JA superstore?

I ran out of a very simple burgundy calico with little pink flowers and couldn't find anything even resembling it

To get to JA superstore I have to go out of town

I really don't like purchasing fabric online because I'm picky and need to see and feel what I'm buying

The slightest difference in color from the picture can make it all wrong and be kind of disappointing
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

One thing I have learned is that when I see a fabric I really, really like, I will try to buy 3-4 yds. of it because it may not be there when I go back to purchase more. One quilt teacher I had told us to buy it when we see a fabric we like because fabric has a shelf life, which can be very limited. There are exceptions to this, as there are certain fabric prints that have held on through many years of changing seasons and are usually available, but in my case the one I want will usually be the one that goes out of print.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM

Hmmm, yes might have to buy more

I always thought the old fashioned calicos were a timeless classic and would never go away

I mean they're still there- it just seems like there are far fewer to choose from now
Old 06-05-2015, 09:07 AM

I have grown fussier about my fabric selections too. I avoid directional prints , as I always get one upside down in the piecing process. I miss the selection of good old fashioned calico's that had small prints good variety of color , so when cut up into small pieces you get all of the fabric colors in that piece. I have scraps from that era and find I value these the most.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
Is it just me or are there far fewer old school calico fabrics out there?

Do I need to go to a JA superstore?

I ran out of a very simple burgundy calico with little pink flowers and couldn't find anything even resembling it

To get to JA superstore I have to go out of town

I really don't like purchasing fabric online because I'm picky and need to see and feel what I'm buying

The slightest difference in color from the picture can make it all wrong and be kind of disappointing
I find that the Hancock's I shop at has quite a lot of them.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM

I'm thinking that cow chips was intentional?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
I'm thinking that cow chips was intentional?

When fresh - it's a cow pie - unless the cow is moving while pooping.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:39 PM

If I fall in love with a fabric, I'll buy at least three yards.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy the fabric for a quilt I fell in love with in a magazine. By the time I decided it was a must make, that line of fabric was long gone. I've "auditioned" many fabrics since but none are "perfect" ..... one of these days I'll find the perfect combination .....

I also always buy extra amounts beyond what a pattern calls for: you never know when a fabric-eating boo boo might happen.

Leftover fabric gets cut into log cabin strips.

Off grain patterns: I've been known to ignore the grain and cut so the pattern is even. You can't tell the grain is off unless you examine the block up close and personal!