Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . . >

Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

Some things I have learned about buying fabric . . .

Old 06-05-2015, 01:25 PM

I am a new quilter, and will be for the rest of my life as old as I am --- so I have never learned about 'on grain, or 'off grain'. I don't (can't) follow a pattern, so I make it up as I go, and when I come across fabric (say, that has been given to me by my dear mother) that has straight lines or pattern, I just cut my strips or squares on an angle so the pattern is off balance, and looks fine to me. Better than uneven lines.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I do wonder why they sometimes print just a very limited number of really good fabric lines. I remember a few years back making a quilt out of little paper doll patterns. Everywhere I went, people loved that fabric. And there was none to be found. So now if I find something I really like, I buy it. And I won't sell anything again that I love, which I have and was a big mistake.
I have some of that paper doll fabric with dolls in 3 sizes --Saw a finished small quilt last week and got me thinking to do it. I may have leftovers if you need some --anybody. I also have lots of the clothing fabric too.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 PM

I had to laugh about the old calicos. I work with a charity group in Phoenix that has a room full of donated fabric. I would say half are those old type calicos. So much of that powdered blue and pink. We get lots of donations when ladies pass away.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
We call them cow patties. sandy
We call them cow pies!
Great off topics, BTW
Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I don't think grain is as critical in quilting as it is in garment sewing. I think once everything is chopped up into small pieces and sewn back together and stitched down to a batting, a few pieces off-grain has little to no effect on the quilt. How do you cut a hexagon "on grain", for example!? Only 2 of the 6 cuts are going to align, no matter what you do!
This has been my conclusion as well. I did do some garment sewing before I started quilting, so I have some rudimentary knowledge of grain, but for quilting, it just seems like a lot of extra fuss and work for something that I never saw as a problem in the first place.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I stay away from purchasing stripes.
Ooooh, I LOVE stripes!!! They make the best binding, and just a little touch of stripe in a quilt gives it so much zing!!

I don't do much with plaids, however.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

We all have our things that matter to us.

Or irritate us.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I AGREE with "The older I am getting - the more I try to avoid hassles."
ME TOO..............the OLDER that I get, the more I kinda look for the EASY way, if there is one..............
I don't worry about the grain at all, I am more concerned with the pattern of the piece and getting it straight....I too think that once it is cut, the sewing is done, the quilting is done, it will look and fit just fine..............
I just go with the fabrics appearance and feel............if I like the design, and it feels good for a quilt, and the price is right, I buy it........and I tend to buy several yards (sometimes what is left on the bolt if its on sale).......you don't know what you may decide to use it for, later, so you want to have enough to do whatever the pattern may be....and leftovers are always good to have, for those scrap quilts that most of us love...........