some things are not usable "forever"

Old 12-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

also:

the disgusting ironing board cover that is scorched and torn
the scissor that got dropped a few times too many and is missing a point
the thread that has gotten weak but the spool is still full
Old 12-13-2014, 05:17 PM

Anen to replacing all of the worn out things! You can hurt yourself trying to use cutting tools or pins that aren't sharp.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:50 PM

I hold on to way more then I should. I cannot seam to let it go cause I might need it or things may change and I will need all those zippers and binding and other items.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:50 AM

"Depression babies" and those of us who grew up during WWII not only learned, but lived "saving" everything. It was not just "Waste not, want not", it was survival and during the war, it was pulling together to save not only our country, but other countries who had really suffered the losses of the century. We had to save everything for the war effort, string, rubber bands, the fat off of what little meat our war ration coupons allowed us, cans and transportation was restricted due to gas rationing. It was a way of life and if you lived in those times, it became a lifetime habit, not easily broken.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
"Depression babies" and those of us who grew up during WWII not only learned, but lived "saving" everything. It was not just "Waste not, want not", it was survival and during the war, it was pulling together to save not only our country, but other countries who had really suffered the losses of the century. We had to save everything for the war effort, string, rubber bands, the fat off of what little meat our war ration coupons allowed us, cans and transportation was restricted due to gas rationing. It was a way of life and if you lived in those times, it became a lifetime habit, not easily broken.
i agree. My parents were savers of everything. We never threw away anything that could possibly be used again. I got the habit from them. I struggle with getting rid of things. I do get rid of things that I feel could be dangerous such as worn out rotary blades. But I must confess, I have a lot of glass jars saved for "something".
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Any item that gives me frustration I get rid of and replace. I don't save used up items that may be useful some day to use for other purposes because I wouldn't have room to live in the house and never has that someday ever came.
Reminds me of the time when we were putting an addition on our house. Hubs is a great 'saver'. BIL and I were cleaning out the back porch as that was coming off the house. There were a host of things that he kept asking if I wanted to keep because 'somebody might be able to use this someday'. My answer to him quickly became 'then take it to YOUR house until SOMEBODY comes and gets it'! Old, used up, ratty items just have no place in my life. I will certainly repurpose any number of things but not everything.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Reminds me of the time when we were putting an addition on our house. Hubs is a great 'saver'. BIL and I were cleaning out the back porch as that was coming off the house. There were a host of things that he kept asking if I wanted to keep because 'somebody might be able to use this someday'. My answer to him quickly became 'then take it to YOUR house until SOMEBODY comes and gets it'! Old, used up, ratty items just have no place in my life. I will certainly repurpose any number of things but not everything.

Haha! This made me laugh!

I despise clutter so I've gotten pretty good at deciding if I'll truly use something or should just pitch it. I need order and clean surfaces to focus. I've seen people here say many times that if your sewing room is clean, you must not be creative. I beg to differ... I'd never be able to create amongst clutter.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 AM

I have worn holes in the end of plastic thimbles and even metal thimbles!! There is no point keeping them after that, you know the needle ALWAYS finds its way into that hole! Ouch!

To Seaside Gal - I used to save jars too. Then I was talking with a friend who had recently cleaned out her elderly mother's large house. She said her mom had a whole room full of jars. That made me think, when I want to keep something, I picture someone looking at it after I am gone, and shaking their head wondering, "Why on earth did she keep THAT?"

Now that I have sold my house and bounce between two furnished rental condos, my jar saving days are over!!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:40 AM

Things might be no good for sewing, but good for other purposes. Scissors with no points can be sharpened and go in the toolbox in the garage. Otherwise someone will snitch the good ones. You don't need points on the scissors to cut open a bag of bird seed.

Cutting mats that are not cut through but not usable for rotary cutting can be used for papercraft, making photo mats,
and cutting other junk. If you are cutting anything on breakfast bar - use the old large Olfa. Other half was cutting up foam rubber with an adjustable exacto knife to make a seat cushion. Use the old mat to cut on.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
Absolutely! I am so glad I hang on to things because "someday" comes frequently to me. And with today's inflated prices I'm tickled pink when I already have what I need and, since it was left over from another project, the item in question is now free.