Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free... >

Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free...

Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM

to Quilter on the Eastern Edge: That's a great idea about saying "here is the name of my longarmer" because then you won't get stuck doing a free quilting job. It will save you lots of time (and money) it THEY have to give the top and the batting and backing to the longarmer. Good thinking!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM

A few years ago I was offered a half finished hexagon quilt along with the bits to finish it. The woman said she didn't want it as she had got bored with it. As I had had other half finished quilts offered to me in the past, ( and it wasn't particularly good looking) I decided I didn't want it either and sent it to a charity shop. A couple of years later the woman got in touch again and asked if the quilt had been finished. When I asked why she said she would like it back if it was so that she could give it to her daughter! I had a certain satisfaction in telling her where it had gone.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2 View Post
A few years ago I was offered a half finished hexagon quilt along with the bits to finish it. The woman said she didn't want it as she had got bored with it. As I had had other half finished quilts offered to me in the past, ( and it wasn't particularly good looking) I decided I didn't want it either and sent it to a charity shop. A couple of years later the woman got in touch again and asked if the quilt had been finished. When I asked why she said she would like it back if it was so that she could give it to her daughter! I had a certain satisfaction in telling her where it had gone.
She what??? LMHO. Too funny.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
This comes up pretty regular on here and honestly it always confuses me. My family and friends all know I sew, quilt, whatever and none of them would ever expect me to provide my skills like this. nor would I expect anything like that from them.
My grandaughter asked me to make a quilt for her friend. She is going to be the maid of honor in her up-comeing wedding. She is going with me to pick out and buy the fabric. It is a memory quilt so I told her that she would have to buy the printible fabric and give me something towards the ink. I won't charge her for my time but I do expect her to pay for the supplys.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM

I just tell them to buy the fabric, and the pattern, then I will make the quilt for them. So far I have not had to make one for them yet.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Amazing! I think I've learned a lesson from reading this thread! Send 'em shopping...those that don't drop over from sticker shock must really want a quilt! (so far I've only made quilts out of love...and I expect I'll keep it that way!) Thanks for lending me your experiences.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

I think at some point we ALL learn this lesson...but only ONCE....if you go it twice...you deserve what you get...My last "gift" quilt cost me a new sofa! I will NOT let that happen again...I now use the " I can't afford to make a gift of a quilt" attitude! It works!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2 View Post
That takes quite some nerve, to ask for something given to be returned!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM

Location: Transplanted from West Branch Iowa; now Wichita Kansas

AMEN to that
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Default Some people have no clue!!!!

No one wants to pay for your work, some people have no clue how much time goes into a quilt. I am a perfectionist and people comment on how beautiful my work is. A partner in my firm where I work has told me I could make a lot of money selling my things I make. She told me she loves my work but has never ordered anything. Not like she can't afford it. I get tired of people telling me they love my things but don't want to pay the price. All you quilters know the time involved. I work full time in a large law firm then I come home and sew most of my evenings and weekends. I love to sew it relaxes me. Happy quilting.