Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sooo disgusted with myself! >

Sooo disgusted with myself!

Sooo disgusted with myself!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM

I use Tiger Tape when hand quilting, it keeps my stitches straight. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I have had my moments, believe me and will have many more.

Hugs!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM

You should have seen the hearts I put on my 15 year old son's quilt. I was so embarrassed. I told him that I was sorry that the hearts were so wobbly and messed up....he told me that he loved the quilt because I had made it especially for him. Sometimes we just get too focused on our imperfections.
Stick with it...it doesn't matter if you improve or not. It is your quilt and just enjoy the process.
:thumbup:
Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Matilda
I know what you mean, I don't quilt well worth beans. But I keep trying. Make some practice pieces--cut muslin fabric in 12 to 15 or so inch squares and sandwich with some batting (good to do with scrap batting) and just keep practicing. Start slow and just keep it moving. One thing I know for sure a person needs to be relaxed. Put on some good music or story you like and go to it. When you feel yourself getting tense stop and pick it up later.

What does SID mean?
I practice on smaller 'samples'. I use my samples for potholder gifts at holidays. You get lots of practice, and your friends get hand made potholders. Win-Win!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM

I am with you all the way, I am so afraid of messing up the quilt I have worked on for so lone, I keep hearing to practice, but to just get to that point is terrifying to me. I guess we just need to listen and go for it..who would know right? I'm there for the ride if you will just hitch me on to your wagon.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM

SID means Stitch in the Ditch.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:
I too have been there and still there somtimes. It does get better. Just keep at it. Practice does make better.
However, I do not do FMQ. I hand quilt. I tried doing this on my machine with just stitch in the ditch. What a mess. Everytime my needle went over the seams(where the blocks intersect) the stitches got really small without even changing the stitch length. So I guess my machine does not like quilting.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM

i don't sew straight - never could - sooo instead of SID - i just use a gently curved seam - works for me. i also never try to hang pictures at the same level - just stagger 'em on the wall in groups - why shoot yourself in the foot if you don't have to? different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm sure we've all had our pity-party days. Don't give up! It really does take practice to do anything well. I remember my first attempts at hand quilting. I couln't quilt a straight line with uniform stitches for anything. I almost gave up but finally my stubborness kicked in & I told myself I will learn to do this. And now I my hand quilting may not be as good as some quilters but I'm satisfied with the results & get good feedback. Just starting to learn freemotion & haven't progressed enough to try a full size quilt but I'm getting there. I'm sure you will get there too. Have patience with yourself. As my grandmother used to tell me "Rome wasn't built in a day."