Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: soooo frustrating

Some people will never get it. Don't waste your time worrying about people that have no common sense.

Not knowing how old this woman is, but she probably thought you have a stash of left over fabric and could make it from that.

A friend of mine was asking me to crochet angels for her. She was in her mid 70's, a good friend and I did it without thinking twice. After making 4 of them, she mentions to me she has been giving them to friends. The next time she asked me for one I told her I was no longer making them, I was onto other projects. At one time she did offer to pay for them, but I declined since they were for her. It never occurred to me that she was giving them to others.

Sounds like it's a quilt sewing lesson to give her for $12.00. Then she can make her own.

Lmao! I wouldn't give in. Nope. Fabric alone is more than that.

tmg
    The fabric along cost more than that.

Maybe she can find a runner at WalMart she likes for that price.

I have a feeling that she hasn't a clue what the cost of fabric is these days and I think that Hopeto quilt's idea is your best solution, or take her to a fabric shop so she can visually see what the cost of fabric really is.

Why is it that people always want something for nothing.No do not do this. I just made a small baby quilt for 15$. It cost me 32 to make. I will never do this again.Take her to the fabric store.Have her buy the fabric.Then sit your price to make this.She might understand by then that things(fabric and time)are not cheap.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    She doesn't have the right to set prices for YOUR creativity. Stick to your guns and work with her if you can but if not then gracefully decline the offer.

Blog Entries
    Tisha,

First off, we have all got to stop seeing ourselves as crafters and start realizing that much of what we do is ART. I took the time to look at some of your postings of your work and you definitely are an artist and how you do it with your houseful of children (two year old twins, YIKES!) and husband away should stop anyone from asking you to do anything!!

Secondly, who has the nerve to ask even a tradesman (not to sell these folks short by any means) to do something and name their price?? Would you have an electrician replace a panel box and tell him or her how much you will pay? GET REAL? Try it and see how far you get!!

Finally, I don't care who this person is. My mother had an expression for this kind of behavior: "Consider the source." This may be a supposedly nice person but she has some nerve. Mama would have "killed her with kindness" but left her completely alone otherwise, if you know what I mean.

OK, that's my three cents. Make the kids some brownies and forget this ever came up.

This is what I was gonna suggest.
    I took a friend to a LQS to have her pick out and buy fabric for a topper. She got 4 half yards a 1yd of 5 different prints and cost just over $20. I thought she would die but she paid for it and now realized how expensive fabric is.[/quote]

That should do it!

Tell her to get the fabric and you will make it for $12.

Quote Originally Posted by starshine
    Maybe first clarify with her whether her offer of $12 was for the labor only, and was she intending to pay for the supplies. If not, let her know that you can give her the supply and fabric requirements and she can pay for all the supplies, and agree to do it for $12 for the labor(or free if you want to donate time). Also you could offer to accompany her to help select the fabric and supplies if she would like help with that. And you could also give her a list of some places she can take some quilting classes so that she can learn to do it herself.
    I wouldn't touch it for $12.00 for labor either as it would take at least 6 hours to make the table runner including quilting it and then only if you are doing s-i-t-d. My time is worth more than that. $12.00 would barely get me to go with you to the fabric store. I recently had a gentleman call me because he wanted to have a quilt made for his wife for their anniversary and he gave me less than a weeks notice. Luckily for him he only wanted 1 fabric on front and back(I used a flannel backed satin) and all over quilting. I was able to get it done in time and I charged him $200.00 and yes I know that I under charged him but he was also talking about making one for his daughter as well. I had $30.00 in fabric and already had the batting but factoring in that would have been $20.00 I spent 7 hours quilting and binding it so you can do the math I got about $21.00 per hour to quilt it. I still think he got a deal as he gave me a very short window and I did this on my only day off that week. I work a full time job as well. He just happened to be lucky that nothing was on my frame at the time as I might not have been able to get it done for him.

Think of the time that you have spent on putting all of this together. I think it might come out to be $1.25 a hour. Are you kidding me????????

Show her a couple of fabric store receipts!! I told a girl I'd make her 2 quilts if she just bought all the stuff, meet me at the fabric store.....she said HOLY MOLY, I didn't know this would be SO EXSPENSIVE, well I tried to tell you!!!! So she just bought cheap from somewhere.....quality ain't cheap, if you want cheap buy...Made in China!!!!

Blog Entries
    I agree with so many others here. I would take her to the fabric store, decide on a pattern, buy the fabric, batting, backing and thread. After she sees that the 12 dollars she offered barely bought a yard of fabric, she may have a better appreciation for the art of quilting. I would love to know what you end up doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate

$12? If she works, how much does she make an hour? What about her husband? And how many hours would it take you to make this runner?

I probably would have laughed at her (hopefully kindly), and then sent her off to Walmart to see what she could get there for $12!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
    This is how I have solved that problem. When someone asks me to make an item for them, I tell them how much yardage is needed and tell them to go buy the fabric and all the notions and I will be happy to make it for X dollars. I usually don't hear from them again. When they find out the cost of the fabric, that seals the deal. I very nicely explain how long it would take to make that item, and how much I charge per hour. Non-sewers just have no idea or appreciation for amount of time and love involved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Take the pattern out, show her the fabric requirements and go on-line to show her the cost of the fabric. Go on a site like thousands of bolts and put all the necessary fabric in the "cart" and show her the total with shipping and tax. Don't forget thread and batting. When she sees that it can cost alot just for the materials, maybe she will understand.
    I was just thinking the same thing... I am sure she is clueless about the cost of the materials. She can go to a Christmas Tree shop and buy something made overseas for next to nothing and doesn't realize how cheap that is.... I know my DDIL had no clue that to buy the fabric/bats/backing for her queen sz quilt that my DM made them as a wedding gift cost about $200. She found out by asking a clerk at JoAnn's. What an eye opener. I think she thinks handmade means a cheaper way to give a gift!!

:hunf:

I agree with Deena. If you don't quilt, you don't realize the cost and effort that is involved in making one. All of the materials add up to be costly and there is a lot of time and often frustration involved in creating a quilt. If she values the quilt, she'll be willing to pay a reasonable fee.

Give her the cost of the materials and ask her how much she thinks your work is worth over that. Put her on the spot and if she squirms just don't do it. She will respect your work and ethics more if you stand up for your time and work.
    GJoyce

Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    No don't give in. Tell her what you think it will cost to make it and set a price. If she doesn't want to pay the price you quote...then don't make it.
    Even though shes a preachers wife that doesn't mean she should get "special" treatment.
    Sorry to all of the preachers wives on the board. But thats how I feel.
    I am a paster's wife and I am not offended. How about asking her to supply the fabric, then could you make it for $12.00. It could be a very simple pattern so it wouldn't take up your time. Maybe ask her to supple the pattern also. Would that help. Just a thought. If not stick to your guns. Good Luck. pstrwife !!

I agree with all that has been said here, and it brings up a point I have often pondered. I make gifts for my family quite often and I wonder if they have any idea of the cost, time and effort that goes into even seemingly simple projects. I recently made 40 mug rugs to distribute throughout the family, and they were made with designer coffee prints, quilted and embroidered.

I'm quite sure they have no idea as none of them are quilters or even sew for that matter!

There were lots of good comments to this email but since the woman did not ask you to reconsider, I'd drop it.
    No need beating a dead horse!

If she asks again, I'd just give her a price and only mention the cost of materials, generally speaking, and let it go.
    Some people have no clue and don't want to be educated.
    There are also those who have no clue about the value of years of experience or training. They don't want to pay for you being smarter or better trained/educated than the next person...

WOW I agree! With just about everyone.

I'm glad I'm not in the situation. I think her attitude may stem from not understanding the cost of the fabric - not to mention the time involved.

If she provided the supplies that might help her understand.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast