Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
soooo frustrating >

soooo frustrating

soooo frustrating

Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 AM

I had a young lady at work ask me to make her a t-shirt quilt when she saw one I had made. she had the shirts and asked it I would do it for $25. I put a price sheet together with all the supplies needed not counting shirts since she would supply them and she was shocked to see it was almost $200. not counting labor. then she got a better understanding, I did not make the quilt
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 AM

i kindly told her that i cant do it for 12.00 and that the fabric alone would cost more then that....i am not close friends with her and dont see her often at all...while she is super sweet i just dont mesh with her if that makes sense and i just dont want to get involved in a project with her...ie teaching her how to quilt and such...the spicy spiral takes me 3 hours to make from start to finish with a meander stipple on it but i am gonna pass on this one...i am saving for a long arm and i dont want to get in the business of giving away stuff so i am just going to pass. with my super sweet southern smile haha
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 AM

My suggestion would be to have her enjoy an ebay quilt top only excursion. Should she not find that enjoyable than etsy would be another nice choice to guage what it might cost to enjoy handmade (in america) items. I just remembered that $12.00 buys just two large cups of coffee designer style. And then teach her to quilt take her twelve and buy one yard of batik. Did cotton get more expensive since I started this response?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 AM

I have always found that the offer to teach works well. No one ever has time in their busy schedules.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 AM

NO, do not give in; option, ask her to go to a LQS and purchase/price ALL the material, backing, batting and thread, oh and the pattern if you don't have one, then ask her if she would make one for $12.00.
$12.00 will buy a store bought PLACEMAT, no way a table runner.

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 AM

I don't think you should give it to her, then everyone in the church would think you give your work away and that's not a good way to start. I would just tell you that your sorry but the investment is to great for you to do it for that price. If she is offended by that then it's on her and not you and don't feel guilty about it..
Originally Posted by tealfalcon
I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 AM

My mother hasn't been in a fabric store in YEARS --- and I mean YEARS. She has no idea either --- she thinks fabric is $.50 a yard. Was telling me the other day that she can't figure out why the "young girls nowadays don't make all their clothes"....and "they could make a blouse for $1.00"..... so maybe the preacher's wife thinks she's giving you a good price. :) I agree with others --- don't give in. Tell her how much yardage is needed and how much it is per yard.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 AM

It is amazing what some people think our time is worth. When asked to do a custom job, I right out the costs of the goods, the estimated hours to complete the piecing at $20 an hour, and the quilting, binding costs. Yes, sometimes they are shocked and walk away. I feel that if I am going to "give" something away that I will choose my charity myself. You can probably do it for less if you are not in business. Those in business have to remember that 1/3 of the total goes to taxes, 1/3 goes to equipment and supply costs which only leaves around $7 hr for profit. I think that $7 an hr is very cheap for skilled labor. You did the right thing by turning down the job. I wish more quilters would stand firm on a decent wage. It would make it easier for those that quilt for a living.:-)
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Most likely she doesn't have a clue about fabric prices! If she's a really good friend and you explain the cost, she'll understand. If she's not ... move on!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Even $12 for labor isn't fair.