Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
soooo frustrating >

soooo frustrating

soooo frustrating

Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 AM

Lots of good suggestions. If you want to five her a deal, just discount from the price of this one on Artfire at $45.00. http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/prod..._runners/other P.S. Just for fun I googled table runner Walmart and came up with a plain white hemmed one for $12.97. An opportunity for education.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:24 AM

I would not do it for $12.00. You cannot even buy the fabric, thread, or the batting for that. I would just forget about the situation.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 AM

$12 is not enough. Do not give in and don't feel guilty. People who do not quilt or sew don't realize the cost of the fabric nor the time it takes.
I just made one for one of our friends with fall colors. Materials alone were $15, a rock bottom price I might ad. :-)
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 AM

I had an experience regarding 2 quilts for my brother and sister in law. They saw some pictures of some of my quilts that I had posted on Facebook. My brother commented about how nice they were and how much he would love to have a "blankie". I said that I had no idea that he would like one but that I would be happy to make him one and also one for his wife. They live in the mountains and I thought between twin and full size would be good for snuggling under while watching tv. So I started making them. I had to do them in stages because I had to budget the money in stages as I could afford the cost of the materials. All the while, I was getting good natured "reminders" about his "blankie". It took me a year to get them ready to go to the LA'r and I wanted to give them to them in person so I also had to wait till I was going to be able to make the 2000 mile trip. Any way, they loved them when they got them and he said something about "even if it did take you forever to get them done". I told him, " hold on there, I don't think you understand what goes into one of these." I then educated him about the cost involved, including the fabrics, batting, thread, classes I took to learn how to make each particular quilt and the cost of the longarm service. I then went on to explain that if he wasn't my little brother and if I didn't love him and my sister in law so much, they would have had to pay for all that PLUS my hourly wage and overhead expenses for machine maintenace etc. When he found out that without my labor, the cost of each of their quilts (including LA cost) was over $400, he was completely overwhelmed. He said I really didn't know. I just see quilts in dept. stores and figured that's what it would cost. I told him that that is why I don't quilt for profit. I made these for you because I love you very much. I couldn't put a price on that. Needless to say, he has a lot more respect for quilts that he sees now days.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 AM

Offer to teach her how to quilt, then she can make her own + find out how expensive it is to make table runners, quilts,etc.
Originally Posted by tealfalcon
I just had to come here where you all would understand....I had this lady ask me today about making her a table runner....she wants the spicy spiral table runner or one with stars...every time she comes over she oos and aahs over my quilts. So i told her i would be more then happy to make her one....here is the kicker...she wants to pay 12.00....ummm there isnt any way to make it for 12.00 unless i am wrong, if someone knows something i dont please fill me in....She is a pastor's wife...not at my church and a very sweet lady but i just cant do it for that price...when i told her i couldnt do it for that price she acted like she was offended...so what am i supposed to do? just give in an do it for that? anyways just had to get that out and hope that some of you can relate
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN
I had an experience regarding 2 quilts for my brother and sister in law. They saw some pictures of some of my quilts that I had posted on Facebook. My brother commented about how nice they were and how much he would love to have a "blankie". I said that I had no idea that he would like one but that I would be happy to make him one and also one for his wife. They live in the mountains and I thought between twin and full size would be good for snuggling under while watching tv. So I started making them. I had to do them in stages because I had to budget the money in stages as I could afford the cost of the materials. All the while, I was getting good natured "reminders" about his "blankie". It took me a year to get them ready to go to the LA'r and I wanted to give them to them in person so I also had to wait till I was going to be able to make the 2000 mile trip. Any way, they loved them when they got them and he said something about "even if it did take you forever to get them done". I told him, " hold on there, I don't think you understand what goes into one of these." I then educated him about the cost involved, including the fabrics, batting, thread, classes I took to learn how to make each particular quilt and the cost of the longarm service. I then went on to explain that if he wasn't my little brother and if I didn't love him and my sister in law so much, they would have had to pay for all that PLUS my hourly wage and overhead expenses for machine maintenace etc. When he found out that without my labor, the cost of each of their quilts (including LA cost) was over $400, he was completely overwhelmed. He said I really didn't know. I just see quilts in dept. stores and figured that's what it would cost. I told him that that is why I don't quilt for profit. I made these for you because I love you very much. I couldn't put a price on that. Needless to say, he has a lot more respect for quilts that he sees now days.
+1
Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 AM

I quilt but this year I have been making quilted purses. Started out for my 2 neices but I have also sold some on etsy. My Dad ask me to make 3 for him to give to family for christmas gifts. He will NOT let me do it for free even thou he will help us for free. He knows how much time and effort it takes to make these items and takes pride in the things I make. The lady who is asking for a $12 table runner was out of line. I don't even know where you could even buy a line one in a store for that price. This summer I made a quilt for a work friend of my husband, he paid me $200 more than I was asking because I was able to finish the quilt in time for his sons wedding. It has taken me a long time to value my skill and the work I do and not give all my things away for free. You don't have to make a profit on everything but people have to understand the cost of doing business same as everything else. If she is a true friend she will come back to talk if not then you have lost nothing.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 AM

She obviously has no idea about cost AND time.

$12 just to make it isn't worth it in my estimation.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM

She must not sew and doesn't understand time and money that goes into making a quilted runner. I would say I am proud of you for speaking up about the price and if she decides she can't afford it...both of you have a solution. Forget about it and continue with life...life is to short to corcern yourself about this. You go girl
Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 AM

Or....maybe offer to teach her? Take her shopping so she sees the prices? It may just be she doesn't know.
Originally Posted by bearisgray
So - does she get special prices at the grocery store? at the gas station?

Tell her where to get the pattern and wish her "happy sewing"