Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: splitting fingernails and cuticles

Vitamin D is something most women have low levels. I started taking some vit D twice a day about 6 months ago and my nails are much better.

I have to use Vaseline hand and nail every night at bed time or I have the same problem. It really works. Can't remember what ingredient it has that other lotions do not.

Blog Entries
    I also had that problem for a long time finally the DR. did blood work as also had sore muscles I had parathyroid desease where the calcium was going into the blood from lack of vitamin 'D' I now take 2000 units of vitamin 'D' a day along with 1200 units of calcium but also have to go for regular blood work yes this is a thing to be checked by the doctor

My fingernails split layer-wise when I use nail polish, don't know why. But I quit using nail polish, and I don't have that problem anymore.

Blog Entries
    I have extremely dry skin and nails too. I also have to keep my nails short because of the peeling. I was perusing the board one day and looked in the recipe section. Lo and behold, there is a recipe in there for quilter's hand cream. It makes a very large batch so make sure you have some empty small jars or a tupperware canister to store it in. I keep mine in the fridge...well labeled of course. It works really well. Give it a try.

No your nails are healthy....that's sometimes common with hand quilting. I hand quilt and have the same problems...I use a clear nail polish(like a hardner) and that helps alot. catching the tips of my nail with the needle doesn't do your nails good but the hardner sure does prevent that from happening quite a bit.

I have that trouble frequently. In the last few months I've battled a skin problem and have used Aquarfor a couple of times a day. I just recently realized my nails are healthier than they've been in ages--It about has to be the effect of using Aquaphor. It is a very heavy body ointment--it is a little like vasoline but more refined and it does rub in better--it feels greasy for a minute or two then is gone. Took me awhile to be convinced it would work better than the lotions, but it really does. Is rather expensive, but it works so I grit my teeth and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mim
    I do a lot of hand quilting in cooler weather and my nails are splitting again. I don't mean the ridges on the nails -- my doc told me yars ago that it meant getting older. I was not amused.

Mim
    Your doctor went to the same med school as mine! My doctor apparently was taught that when unsure of an answer, he has three choices:
    1) you're too fat
    2) you're getting old
    3) you're too fat and getting old

(By the way, my doctor is too short and has bad cholesterol. I, on the other hand, outweigh him, and am taller than him, and my cholesterol numbers are perfect. He hates having to admit that. Good round Polish genes.)

Sounds like your doctor didn't want to be bothered with what he didn't perceive as a problem. Nails and hair reflect metabolic conditions including nutritional status. Flaking, peeling nails could be an early symptom of many conditions. You might consider seeing a dermatologist and having some tests run including thyroid panel (TSH AND FT4), albumin level, vitamin D level (calcium can't be absorbed without it). You didn't mention if your hands are in water a lot or if you are in contact with strong chemicals. Good luck.

Mim, I have had this problem most of my life, however until I started hand quilting it was mild...now...it is awful..I have tried two products: Nailtique, get it at some beauty shops the other one is a nail product by Revlon you can get it at Target and perhaps Walmart or drug store...good luck...I keep my nails really short when I am quilting..even handling the materials when appliquing and piecing does take its toll...my finger tips break open and bleed also...quilting is worth it and I use a ton of lotions. memepeggy

pab

Blog Entries
    Thanks for reminding me about the hand creme receipe.I had forgotten all about that.It really does work well....pab

Blog Entries
    WOW lots of opinions on this subject
    If you think it needs another doctor's opinion, get one
    then
    let's put our 'goop' by the computer and lather up before sitting down to surf the Quilting Board. With all the time we spend here each day we should all have model hands in a couple of weeks! LOL :)

Blog Entries
    I read that if you tap your fingernails on a table or hard surface, (like you would do if you were impatient), it helps to stimulate the circulation and strengthens your nails. I try to remember to do this every so often. It makes your nails sort of tingle. Sure won't hurt to try!

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My nails started getting ridges and now I have problems with one of them breaking down the middle into the middle of the nail.

I was talking to a clerk at Sally's and she suggested that I buy "fiber mesh". Sorry, not sure of the name. It is a fibre on paper and you cut to size and then stick on your nail. They have glue, which I haven't purchased. She told me I could use clear nail polish, which I do to keep them on. The polish is by Sally Hansen and is called "hard as wraps". I have been using this for over a month. The one nail that broke to the middle has now grown out. Whew! You have to replace it often (depending on how much your hands are in water). Probably every few days or so. It is the only thing I have found so far. Good luck. Yolanda

Most anyone who works much with fabric will have similar problems. I buy a tiny little bottle at a big price (about $6) at a beauty supply place called Reconstruct made of different oils and used to renew and reconstruct. You can really, really see a difference in the strength of your nails after a short while. I put this around the nail bed and rub it in at least twice a day or after showers, dishes, etc. I also rub plain oil (such as baby or olive or even PAM) into my nails and hands before bed.

And, I like Aveeno for dry skin cream, which is not greasy and stays on until you wash it off ... unlike some other skin lotions and creams.

If I slack off on these things my nails will immediately split, shale and hang nails appear, nails are soft and round over my finger tips, etc.

Best of luck!

Some one here posted a "how to" make a hand lotion using: Baby lotion, vitamin E cream and vaseline. Beat it with electric mixer until mixed well. I tried it and love it for dry cracking hands. I only made have the amount to start with and am giving each quilter some for Cmas.

Blog Entries
    I, too, have your problem. I have been taking Biotin for hair and nails for almost five months and can see NO results. I use a lot of lotion but that doesn't really help the nails. I have used a variety of nail streghtener polishes to no avail. My liver and thyroid has been checked and I am fine. I would love to hear of a product that really works too. What is the HOOF?

My fingers split this time of the year and I use lip balm on them and it usually clears it up, but I need to keep using it all winter . Working with fabrics does not help because it tends to dry my hands. I would think any bee balm would help.

My nails are ok, but my cuticles ! OMGoodness! Only thing I have found that works for me is Burts Bees lemon butter cuticle creme. If I have ragged cuticles, I pick at them absentmindedly...and that just makes everything WORSE! I keep one of these in my purse and use it a couple times a day. I have seen it at Walgreens, Safeway and Sprouts.

heard if i kept my nails in olive oil for 1/2 hour a day it would make them stronger. I've been working on that, but close to 15 min is all I get in and it seems to help. (put in a small bowl, soak fingers, cover bowl, reuse over and over)

Quote Originally Posted by stitchin
    heard if i kept my nails in olive oil for 1/2 hour a day it would make them stronger. I've been working on that, but close to 15 min is all I get in and it seems to help. (put in a small bowl, soak fingers, cover bowl, reuse over and over)
    I would not recommend reusing any kind of oil over and over...think of all
    the bacteria on our hands and under our fingernails.

I teach water aerobics so my nails are in chlorine every day for several hours. At one point I had such a bad split I used super glue to hold it in place until the nail grew out.

Burt's Bees makes a wonderful cuticle cream and hand lotion. Those have helped greatly. Also, Mary Kay sells a cream that I've used as well.

Be sure to get checked out by your doctor, but I can say these lotions have helped.

My doc told me that zinc is good for the nails. It is also good for acne too.
    I take a multivitamin with zinc in it and the only time I have problems with splitting nails is when they get too long

Your condition is listed as Onychoschizia a common nail disorder usually from exposure to water. If your doctor cannot find any medical problem using gloves when your hands are in water and handcream may be of help. The mineral Bioten may help too - just check with your Dr.

I can agree with the casued by water. I spend half of my day in the pool. Became much worse when I started teaching classes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast