Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spoon Quilting. >

Spoon Quilting.

Spoon Quilting.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM

Any thing to keep from getting poked. Thanks will give that a try too.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 AM

I hand quilt, and I've always used a thimble on both the top (needle-pushing) finger and one underneath to glance the needle off of. I got tired of hearing the "click" of the needle off of the underside thimble, as well as not being able to make stitches as small as I would like. I've recently been quilting without a thimble on the underside, which has resulted in smaller stitches, but find I have to rest from quilting for a day or two at intervals to let my poor finger recover. I'm delighted to hear about this method! If anyone sees a link for a video so we can see this in action, I hope you'll post it! Thanks for sharing a great idea!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 AM

I hand quilt with a spoon in my hand under the quilt and my thumb in the bowl of the spoon. I use a hemostat to grab the needle and pull it through the fabric. I can load more stitches on the needle than if I had to grab it with my finger and thumb.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Does this save your finger from being stuck a thousand times by the needle? If so I am definitely going to try it.
LOL
Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ReeneeD
Does this save your finger from being stuck a thousand times by the needle? If so I am definitely going to try it.
LOL
Yes, that is the reason I use the spoon. I use a good quality plastic spoon (I get them at the Party Store) instead of silver or stainless because I don't like the way the metal feels if my hands perspire and the plastic doesn't dull my needle. I wear out a lot of plastic spoons but thats OK. they are probably cheaper than needles.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
Thanks for the info. I've just begun my hand quilting. Struggled first my first one and am now piecing a queen size for our bed. Have considered Aunt Becky's but it seems like it would be awkward to hold for a long period of time. The TJ looks like it would be more user friendly. Any idea if it can be bought other than on line? Would like to see it "in person"
before buying it. It's going to be several months before I'll be ready for the hand quilting stage.
I am also looking for both and can't find them in any retailers. If you find it can you post where you found it? Thanks - Harry
Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM

I've found hemostats in the fishing departments of sporting good stores. You can also find them at vet supply places and the pharmacy (the vet supply places are always cheaper! The closest place to me is Tractor Supply which I would never have thought to look in if I hadn't been looking for something else).
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM

That sounds like Aunt Betty ... only with a spoon :)
Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Not only does it work great, but you can make rings from the cut off handles. Young girls really like these spoon rings.
Hmm, so you cut the handles off the spoon? I am trying to visualize it all! I have not hand quilted, but would like to do a small piece .
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I used this method many moons ago but I think I remember the thumb going into the inside of the spoon.