Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spoon Quilting. >

Spoon Quilting.

Spoon Quilting.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I use hand quilting thread even for piecing. It's less likely to tangle and if it does, it's easy to get the knot out. Usually have at least 18 inches so I don't have to stop often to rethread the needle.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 PM

I watched the Jean Brown video listed on this thread and she threads about 30 needles in advance. I don't have that many but I am going to thread those that I do have in advance. 18" thread length works for me. I purchased the Aunt Becky at my LQS today and am going to try the technique tonight. Hope it is easier than learning how to FMQ!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Merrilin
I have a question or two. 1) how long of thread do you put on your needle when you are hand quilting? 2) how loose does your quilt have to be to quilt small stitches?
Those were a coup;e of things that were never mentioed or told to me before I started quilting. And I can't find the answer in any book. Thanks.
I took a course in hand quilting and I was surprised at how loose the material was in the hoop. I made a Dear Jane and hand quilted the whole thing. The teacher put the fabric between the hoops (loosely) and then laid it on a flat surface and pushed the piece down with her hand until it touched the table underneath the hoop. Then she tightened the hoop and she was ready to quilt. I always thought that the piece had to be taut - but not according to her. Any other feedback on this?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM

I use quilting thread and around 18 inches or so. Any more and I got breakage or tangles. I found that too many passes through fabric does wear on the thread itself. Besides, who wants to constantly tug really long pieces of thread? It just slows you down.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ReeneeD
I took a course in hand quilting and I was surprised at how loose the material was in the hoop. I made a Dear Jane and hand quilted the whole thing. The teacher put the fabric between the hoops (loosely) and then laid it on a flat surface and pushed the piece down with her hand until it touched the table underneath the hoop. Then she tightened the hoop and she was ready to quilt. I always thought that the piece had to be taut - but not according to her. Any other feedback on this?
I do it exactly the same way like your teacher did. When the material is too tight in the hoop it's impossible for me to move the needle and to do small and even stitches. The thicker the material is, the looser I put it in the frame.

My cut the quilting thread about 18"-20" long. A longer thread becomes too weak after a while of pulling it through the layers, especially when the needle's eye is a little bit sharp.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM

I like the ideas of 18" thread and threading several needles at a time. Do you double your thread or just use one strand? I learned to quilt, quilting with children so I do whatever worked for them. I have a terrible time with thread twisting. Just a few stitches and my thread is wound up like a rubberband on a glider airplane. I've tried beeswax and it helps a little. Do you use different thread for quilting than for sewing? Lots of new questions. Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Gwyn,
I always take just one strand for quilting and I use different brands of quilting thread. My favourite is YLI, but I also like King Tut of Superior Threads and the Guetermann brand. For hand sewing I also use hand quilting thread.
The tangling of your thread can be a result of it's twisting. Try to thread your needle with the end that hangs down of your spool and knot the end you just cut. If this doesn't work do it vice versa. Maybe that helps! (I hope you understand what I mean...it's not so easy to explain it in a foreign language!)
Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 AM

Had decided to try to find the T J Quick Quilter. Was looking in my silverware drawer for a iced tea spoon when I found (guess what) a gravy ladle. The bowl of the spoon is rounded and the handle is already bent. If it works, will find something to wrap the handle in (foam or something spongy) to make the handle more user friendly. I was also going to start looking at thrift stores for a usable spoon.

Hope this helps those of you who were considering either spoon quilting or using the Aunt Becky method.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 AM

thank you all for the input. I use about that length of thread. and for the tautness of my material. it seems the looser i have it the more pucks i get under-neath. maybe i don't have the bottom tight enough. will keep trying to get it right.

THANK YOU EVERYONE. I JUST LOVE THIS SITE.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I watched the Jean Brown video listed on this thread and she threads about 30 needles in advance. I don't have that many but I am going to thread those that I do have in advance. 18" thread length works for me. I purchased the Aunt Becky at my LQS today and am going to try the technique tonight. Hope it is easier than learning how to FMQ!
I would be thrilled to hear about how this approach works for you and if you found any little tricks that work well. Thanks in advance for sharing.