Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer? >

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Spray, glue, pin, hand baste, or boards? Which one do you prefer?

Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 PM

I pin baste on dining room table. No problem with puckers on back or front because I starch everything.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 PM

I would not be able to get down on the floor to layer my quilts. For small projects I use the basting spray. For larger items/quilts i use the school glue. I have some folding tables and use three of them and just drizzle the glue in back & forth drizzles about 3 inches apart, and smooth it all out with batting and backing and then turn over and do it on the front. Let it dry overnight and then start the quilting. I either put the tables up in the garage or the living room. Outsid if the weather is ok. I dislike this part of quilting also. I would like to quilt by check, however that gets pricey.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:17 PM

I use boards and either hand baste or pin.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:03 PM

I use pins with Pinmoors, seems to work well for me and very quick to install, quick to remove. Also do a fair bit of QAYG which tends to need very little to no pinning but it depends on the method
Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 PM

You left off one option... "basting by check". For my machine quilting projects, I pin baste. For my hand quilting projects, I take them to the LA and have her thread baste it for me (by machine). Super quick & well worth the cost.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Honestly I still do the safety pin method... I just don't trust spray or glue not to gum up my machine....
If the glue is dry your machine won't gum up. At least mine never has. Dry glue is the key.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM

I usually pin baste but if it's a larger quilt (queen/king) I've gone to thread basting because it cuts down on the weight so much. I'm a hand quilter and all that extra weight is a pain to manipulate after a while. I use my cutting table to sandwich though. I center everything - regardless of quilt size - and use binder clips smoothing each layer as I go. When I finish the center section, I slide everything in whichever direction and repeat the process. It can get tedious on larger quilts but it beats crawling around on the floor!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
All of my sandwich problems have been eliminated so far with washable glue basting. I use a table and can start in the middle if the quilt is big. I use it instead of pin basting not spray basting. It has never gummed up a needle. It always washes out. I'm about 12 quilts in with it. I drizzle a thin line in in a kind of grid on the cotton batting half at a time and smooth the backing over it - it's easy to reposition if necessary. Then do the other half. Sometimes I just flip it over and do the other side and sometimes if I have something else to do I wait til later. So far I haven't ironed to dry it faster but that is an option. Try it on a sample and see how you like it!!
a
Alyce do you use the washable school glue that is white??? Brand name, is it important???

I can't handle the odors of the spray, much less not liking I can't breath........Thanks,
Old 10-26-2016, 12:51 AM

I actually enjoy the pin basting process with some nice music in the background. Not so fun layering/centering it all.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 AM

Oh my, thank you all for your input. It's soothing to hear how you all do this particular part of quilting. I've tried all of the ways to baste except "baste by check". I haven't heard about that one. LavenderBlue, its good to hear that you actually like to pin. I'm thinking of school glue this time around. I haven't had much experience with the process but maybe it would be fun to try. Fun is the key word. Mind set needs to change and think of this as a fun process!!
Thanks again for your comments. And yes, it's been fun to read them.