Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square in a square by Jodi Barrows >

Square in a square by Jodi Barrows

Square in a square by Jodi Barrows

Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM

[Sorry to be such a "newbie" but what is Square in a square? and Smoking Needle? I am about to start a new quilt top and could use a quickie.[/quote]

Square in a square is a technique that Jodi Barrows teaches, it uses a ruler she designed. Instead of cutting triangles and sewing them to the square to make the square in a square block, she just sews strips to the sides of the square and uses her 90 degree angle ruler to cut them. Goes very fast. All the other blocks ( stars, flying geese, etc.) are all based off this first block. You can check her out, just goggle Jodi Barrows. The Smoking Needle is a group of quilters.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I never used her method. I have made 6 twin size square in a square quilts so far and have two more in the works. Basically if a method makes "waste" I don't use it because it really does add up.

I figured the difference between the folded corners method and the four at once method for flying geese on a queen size quilt and it was a full yard.
That IS a lot of fabric. Time is money but so is fabric and right now I seem to have more time than money. LOL
Thanks for the info.