Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Start blocks or not to start blocks...... >

Start blocks or not to start blocks......

Start blocks or not to start blocks......

Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 AM

Some projects need to age like a fine wine, before you finish it!
I say, start that new project. The other one will be waiting for you!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm I tend to start the new blocks but now I have a lot of UFO. Is there any way you can work on the old project for some of the time or on all odd days and then start the new blocks on even days. I am now starting to work on all the UFOs but it is slow go. wished I had not let it come this far.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:34 AM

If you are looking for permission - go for it. If you are looking for a way to discipline yourself into doing the first one here goes. Put in one of those 20/30 minute sesssions a week on the old project and then reward yourself with the rest of the time allotments on the new project. You win either way. Just an FYI I have at least 30 old projects in the wings and I lay them out, put a 3x5 card with a number on it on top of the project. I use a thick marker so the number shows up. Take a picture of the mess and then put the project in a pizza box or larger, depending on the size of the mess and tape the number to the outside. I print off the picture and add it to my pin up board and so I can see my projects in limbo at a glance. If I get a desire to work on something different, I just look at the board and pull out the appropriate box. Keeps the mess to a minimum and I am an out of sight out of mind sort of person so if I don't do that my heirs will have a real mess on their hands.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Great idea! Homebody323, I know your post was meant for the original poster that started the thread but I think I will implement your ideas this coming summer. I do want to get some more of my UFOs done but it is hard to keep track of them all even though I have them all kitted up.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 AM

I am going to be no help to you at all because I am working on 5 quilts right now. I keep them separated in huge zip lock bags and I love it. I always have at least two at one time open so they are my leaders and enders. I just finished two quilts and restored two vintage quilt tops and they are off to the quilter. I am ready to start another quilt with some new charms or one of my jelly rows, saw some jelly row patterns on Pinterest I am dying to try. Good Luck.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
OK. You all broke through the paradigm I was stuck in. I get it now; start something new and I will get back to the first project (or second project or third, as I understand some have many unfinished projects). Thanks for the encouragement. DH out of town and I am going to start fondling some material kind members form the Board sent me and sort and fondle some more, plan, and tomorrow morning the first block begins! I am so excited. Thanks.
Bet you were forced to clean your plate before you were allowed to leave the tsble or have dessert?

Go for it!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 AM

Default Start your new project

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
start the new one, you'll get inspiration to finish the od one
I find that I get more done if I have more than one project in progress. My level of concentration varies so it helps to have different projects going so I can select what to work on based on how much I have to think about what I'm doing.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 AM

I like to do the new project in the mornings and finish up (hand work) the old project in the evenings. BUT I can't have a bunch of UFO's in the works as I know I would never finish them. Machine work in the morning, hand at night.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Yep I agree. If the inspiration is there, you must take advantage of it. The unfinished project may just need time to percolate in your mind. You'll get back to it when the time is right. Isn't that why most quilters have UFO's?
I totally agree. I just have TOO MUCH percolating in my mind !!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 AM

Just go ahead and start the new quilt. I have a BOM quilt I started in 2010, one of the blocks just doesn't go together right. Have put it aside and have made many more quilts since. I do get that block out that is giving me fits about every three or fours months and try working on it. There is nothing written that says you have to finish one before starting another. Good luck with your unfinished quilt top.