Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed >

Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed

Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed

Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM

My quilt group makes many quilts for the Homes. If they are in wheel chairs a 36X36" quilt fits right on there lap. Many love to decorate there beds with a throw. Having them make quilts for there home first might be a good idea. Then start making quilts for charity. Good luck and God bless you.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Banned

I think it might be best to start with something simple, like a charm-pack lap quilt. (5 inch squares. Or even bigger). Then ask the participants what they want to do. Some of them would probably like to hand quilt, and will need hoops. Some might want to do some applique. Aside from the basic sewing, there are all sorts of possibilities. Also, if the nursing home has an OT (Occupational Therapist), you might consult with her/him. The OT will probably have some good hints about working around physical problems, as well as having useful little tools and gadgets that will make it easier. And remember that seniors will tire long before a younger person, and take longer to recover, so that sessions should probably not be any longer than 45-60 minutes. Follow the KISS principle, and it will all be great!!

For those of you who will ask, KISS=Keep It Simple Silly/Stupid
Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 AM

I think this is awesome. Good luck and I know the residents will love whatever you do. Just the interaction is great.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Billy, the whole thing sounds awesome!!! That will be so good for them on many levels and you will love it!!
Be sure to keep us posted
BTW you and Eddie make me mad hahahahahahahaha
Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Kudos to you for doing this project! They will love it!
Perhaps start out with a simple thing first, then ask them what kinds of things they'd like to do. Maybe lap robes for themselves, then other residents. Maybe a drawing like no1jan mentioned. Make pillowcases, totes, walker bags, place mats, table toppers, etc.
Again, great idea! Please show pics! :)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 AM

I would maybe start with a wall hanging that is simple for the newbies and those experienced quilters there they could dive into a lap quilt. take a few patterns and let them choose which one they would like to do. this will let them feel in control of their lives. which when they are in homes they may times feel like they no longer have control.
I love the idea of doing a raffle. depending on how often you get there you could do a raffle once a month or every other month when you have a few quilts done. you could let people put their name in a jar for each quilt that they want if their name get picked in one they don't get win any of the others till everyone has won one alteast.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:39 AM

I think lap quilts would be a good idea. I remember when Mother and Daddy were in a nursing / retirement home they were always short of lap quilts. If they made their own, what a joy it would be for them to use them.
Mother helped to make pies and cakes there, too, and just loved it.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: I didnt think this would get so many good ideas and post.

I think the lap quilts for the neighbors in the home will be a priority that way they will have something they have made or the neighbors made for them. I love the raffle idea also!! If I can free myself up from the business a few nights a week I could hammer out a few lap quilts and then we could raffle them off to the neighbors each time we get together or do it when we have enough for everyone. I would love to see the entire neighborhood get a lap quilt for Christmas. There are 67 people in the home and 99.9% of them are ambulatory (meaning they all are up and running around some how) I think it is a very doable thing for their community.

Picking their own patterns to do would make sense and would boost their self image because they did have a chance to decide. Either way all of t he ideas that you all have come up with are really awesome and I can take something from each and everyone of you and use it towards the project.

But the home works so hard in making everyone feel like family and to feel loved and I want to be a part of it also. There is so much we can learn from each other and the friendships that I will build with them will last forever. So I do not have a problem in putting everything I have going on hold for a day or two each month to spend it with them letting them know that they are all loved!!

Billy
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM

A simple project to begin with might be pillowcases for themselves and/or for kids in hospitals.

Check out ConKerrCancer.org for a really great program and pillowcase pattern instructions to follow and also a coordinator in your area that collects and distributes the pillowcases to local hospitals.

I'm co-chair of my guild's Project Pillowcases and we've made and distributed about 1,000 pillowcases during the past 2 years. In my photo I'm holding a batch of pillowcases that our group made at a recent Sew In. May in Jersey
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM

You might also include small Christmas/holiday lap quilts for some of the staff if anyone has favorites...then again maybe the staff couldn't accept presents. I was just thinking the neighbors would like to do something for those who care for them so well. Good luck. Sounds like a new post to follow for us-The Neighborly Quilters? Quilting in the Neighborhood? ;-)