Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash?? >

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM

what a wonderful problem to have! I think I would just load a plastic tub full of anything I think I would need, as I was going to the fishing 'shack'. just did that for a week of babysitting duty in the south. only, I just took stuff for one project. hope I didn't forget anything. took jenny doan's periwinkle quilt I am working on. the little 3 yr old granddaughter is going to get to help granny. glue, and tear paper. and she has quilt blocks printed off, to color. gotta get them started early!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 PM

We have two homes - one in town and the other on the coast. I keep a machine, cutting utensils and ironing pad with iron at the beach house. I have a tub of pre-cut (I did them one day) squares to assemble into a quilt - it has been an ongoing project for a VERY long time. We are lucky that the houses are only 2 hours apart from each other and there is a quilt store in town and one only 20 miles north. I usually take hand work with me to the beach. When I want to have some kits available, I choose my fabrics, load them and the pattern into the car and off to the beach I go. The kitchen counter there is perfect for cutting. I can cut and watch chick flicks at the same time, even with a view of the ocean. I have been quilting in both homes for over 10 years and I always have something to do at the beach. Of course, I only go over for days/weeks at a time, not months and that could change the situation completely. Good luck -- and remember to enjoy both homes!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 AM

I also have this problem but after 11 years, I have it figured out. The summer lake cabin (well, it's bigger than a cabin.... more like a house) is pretty remote and there aren't a lot of quilt shops around. The ones I have found have a limited selection of fabrics. The winter house is located within a half hour's drive to several really good fabric shops that also have lots of accessories to choose from. So....

I have duplicated my quilting supplies at the cabin but take a large tote filled with whatever fabric I'll need to make the projects I've selected for the summer. My main stash stays at the winter house. The two homes are 10 hours apart so I can't just go get something I've forgotten. Last summer I took 5 projects.... got 4 done. We get more visitors at the lake and I'm getting older. It takes me more time to get ready for company and clean up after they leave. But getting 4 quilts done last year was good. I've already started thinking about which projects I'll take this year.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 AM

For those of you who have responded to this thread, THANK YOU for such wonderful and well thought out suggestions. This is really going to help. . . lots! DH and I are both retired and both widowed from long marriages to wonderful people. He built his home in the West Virginia mountains near Lewisburg and I rent out my home in piedmont Carolina. Together we bought "our" little fishing shack on the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina. It's lovely (and challenging) to have all this but we both paid very high prices for this luxury and we try to celebrate our "others" together since their loss provided the means for all our homes and lifestyle.

It takes a day to travel from one home to the other and, while there are quilt shops and fabric stores along the way, we are usually loaded and not inclined to extend the trip with shopping. There is a fabric shop in Lewisburg but lots of their cottons are not LQS quality. Near the fishing shack, the closest good fabric shopping is in the Hampton Roads, Virginia area. Fortunately, we love to take road trips and, in warm weather, travel by Honda trike. LQS shopping and shipping is always a part of that. Which pretty much explains the huge stash.

My current DH is amazing and generous and our meeting is an amazing story of letting your faith guide you. I am truly blessed beyond my wildest imaginings.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 03-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM

I was happy to find this thread. We are downsizing in about a year and a half. Most of the time will be in FL and three months in Maine. Going from a two story house to a condo and a shared family cottage with little storage. I already have a Featherweight in FL and a few shallow boxes of fabric I've bought down there. Took some pictures of the supplies, extra rulers and notions I have there on my IPad so I'd remember what's there. Most of my stash will live in FL. We've been researching storage options for the guest room to store my creative stuff and out of season things down there. I love handwork so I'm thinking that will be easier for the cottage in the summer months. I too have woodsy fabric that I could make things up with in New England. I have no shortage of great shops in either place. I'll be retired when we make the move so am hopeful that I can be more productive.
Looking forward to enjoying the stash where ever I am!

Last edited by lots2do; 03-29-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM

I have the same problem. For awhile we had 3 places but we are now down to two. I have a machine and cutting mats, rulers, etc in both homes. What works for me is this: I go through my patterns, quilt books etc. and I put together kits These I take to my second home. If you start moving your stash into your smaller house you will run out of space. It sounds like you have a beautiful space in your mountain house and room for your stash. I'd keep things simple.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I'd probably keep it all in one place and put together a bunch of projects to take to the other house each year. And maybe add some extra bits for "in case I run out". But most likely I'd just see it as a reason to increase my stash I can't imagine splitting it between the 2 permanently - I'd always want something that was at the other house, I'm sure.
This is also what I would do. I almost always have
my next two quilt patterns selected and all fabrics and thread purchased just waiting till I am ready. I would travel with those and my machine and basic supplies.